Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Am I addicted?

This sounds a lot like my parents. Try to teach them that it is a game of skill and the better player will win a majority of the time. Also, proving to your parents that you are not addicted is very important. Tell them you are going to take a week or 2 off from poker to prove this to them. If you are unable do this then maybe you are addicted. Explain to them playing poker is more productive then watching tv or playing video games. Once my parents saw some real results and realized that most of the money was going to college they started to like poker more.

Here is my story
Old 05-12-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mother didn't even press the issue today, she just told me that she knows I am becoming addicted because I read poker materials (books, Player magazine), and even though I may not play I'm still acessing the material (including web sites I guess she means) every day.

Surely browsing 2+2 for 30+mins a day isn't a bad thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, today alone you browsed 2+2 during four different hours. It sounds to me like you aren't fully mature enough to handle playing poker for money. You need to first be honest with yourself - and if you are being honest with yourself - separating yourself financially from your mother shouldn't be a problem.
-James
Old 05-13-2005, 12:10 AM

When you live with your parents or they're paying your way, they have every right to set parameters. You want to do what you want to do when you want to do it? Pay your own way.
Take it from a parent. It's what I've told my kid your age several times.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:08 AM

It helps me that one of my parents best friends is a professional poker player who sits in vegas and takes more money from tourists a night than any 4 tabler can make in a month. That has helped them accept the fact that it is not only fun, but beatable as all hell. Maybe your parents just have the wrong friends.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can you live without poker? If not then you're addicted... simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker is a form of income to a lot of us here, just cause we want to work and make money doesn't mean we are "addicted" to poker.

if i never had to play another hand of poker in my life, that would be great. but unfortunatly thats not going to happen because i love making money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words out of my mouth. Let me say that if poker wasn't for money I would never play another hand. It's a good game, and complex, but if I could only play for play money I wouldn't. There are way better games out there.

Except maybe NL tournaments, I might play those. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I didn't see the Yankees box scores for a week (like when I go to Montana), I would get antsy. But I would hardly say I'm addicted to the Yankees.

When I play poker when my wife wants my company, then she'll be upset. But if I play when she's busy, its fine.
But the same thing would be true if I wanted to spend 5 hours playing golf every Saturday, or stare at the Yankees every night on TV. If you don't want to keep up your relationship because you'd rather play poker all the time, then that's either an addiction problem or a relationship problem.

If you seriously wouldn't play poker ever again if it weren't for the money, and you don't enjoy the game, then you probably want to find something else to do with your time. Eventually, you're likely not to play well if you're not into it. Also, if you don't like poker, and if you're smart enough to make big money at it, then you're smart enough to find a job you like doing that pays well.