Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Results....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think, after he gets the last aggressive raise on the turn and you check the river, he bets damn near 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when that [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits. IMO that changes things dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does until you check. Maniacs love to bluff as a form of spray, and the fourth crub makes bluffing oh-so-tempting.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It does until you check. Maniacs love to bluff as a form of spray, and the fourth crub makes bluffing oh-so-tempting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But we have check-raised every street already.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think, after he gets the last aggressive raise on the turn and you check the river, he bets damn near 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when that [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits. IMO that changes things dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But wouldn't he then also call our river bet?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: A hand my roomate played while I sweated vs a maniac.

Sorry, isn't this a clear call? You want overcalls from the EP limpers, and if you raise, not only are they going to face 2 cold, they're afraid the maniac is going to re-raise. So no matter how loose/passive they are, if you raise the flop you're cutting the odds on your draw down to a HU pot between you and the maniac. And your hand has no showdown value, even against a maniac.

A better line on this flop may be to bet straight out, and hope the loose limpers will call, then the maniac will raise, and you can re-raise (this time with them willing to call 2 since the pot is larger and they are more psychologically committed to the pot). Alternatively, you bet, limpers call, maniac raises, and you call with the intention of leading the turn if you have 4 opponents, or if you make your draw.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's going to raise a river bet, he's sure as hell gonna bet when checked to.

I still like a check-call on the river, but I play the other streets the same (c/r and call a 3-bet both). I think the bet-call on the river works when you're think he doesn't have a club most of the time, but I don't know how we can narrow this maniac's hands down so much. He could have any holding with a club (and many holdings without), and will probably bet the river without one. But it seems that he'll bet more non-flush hands when checked to than raise when bet into. Does that make sense?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But wouldn't he then also call our river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but I'm not worried about getting called but getting raised.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It doesn't change things all that much against a maniac. He's still betting a set or two pair here very very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

But now he's checking his top-pair non-club since he was a high-street-slow-downer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joe,

I just don't think the sort of player to raise two pair on this board is the same sort that checks behind with AQ. Just MHO.

Rob
Old 07-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Yes but the river card kills so many hands. His thought process is going to think, when you check, you don't have a flush.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Yes but the river card kills so many hands. His thought process is going to think, when you check, you don't have a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. josh still lieks a check-raise/call
Old 07-18-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, but I'm not worried about getting called but getting raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this one. I only want one bet going in on the river here. If you bet and get raised you have to call against a maniac given the pot size, but you are surely losing money on that second bet going in. Plus, I agree that maniac is probably just as likely to bet here with the worst hand than to call with it (perhaps more so).