Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: What do you think of Dannenmann\'s boredom?

[ QUOTE ]
Taking the 4.5Mil and riding off into the sunset (back to his Tuesday night homegame) isn't an aweful idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, he's splitting the prize with a buddy that put up half his entry fee.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Excellent, Godfather. I laughed out loud when I scrolled down to that picture.

When I read that quote from Dannerman, I wanted to throttle the guy. He's at the final table of the WSOP, a wet dream for most of us, and he's BORED???

Hee-haw!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will sound nuts to most of you - but I'd rather finish 2nd and get 4.25 mil than win and get 7.5 mil. I can easily live with 2.5 mil after taxes and not having the pressure of living up to winning the WSOP ME bracelet when I'm not anywhere close to a world-class player. So, if that is how Dannenmann felt, then I completely understand the feeling

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is a ridiculous point. I'm not saying that I agree, but I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

You win the extra 3.5mil (about 2mil extra after taxes) and that is good... but you are the champ and are doing interview after interview after interview for the next year. You are expected to show up at ALL the major tournies even if you know that you aren't good enough to be there. The 2nd place guy may take some grief for the next few weeks... the champ will get hammered for every bad play he makes for the rest of his life.

Taking the 4.5Mil and riding off into the sunset (back to his Tuesday night homegame) isn't an aweful idea.

Just my thoughts - ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should anybody do what is expected from him ? If you don't want to play every big tourney, then don't do it.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see how he would be more than happy with what he had already done and a bit bored after days of all day play. But he was supposedly splitting the money with his friend that put up $5K so though I'm sure his friend was happy to get over $2MM back, not sure he would be happy that Steve wasn't trying his hardest for the extra $3MM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure his friend is really mad at him. Get a grip, dude.

- Nick
Old 07-18-2005, 04:17 PM

Yes, you all need to get a grip.

Steverino was 1 river away from winning the whole thing--when one of you gets that close, you should feel to come back and criticize his play and his attitude.

The longest tournament I ever played in took about 6 hours--I was bored and tired at the end, came in 2nd, walked away with about one-1500th of what Dannenman did AND felt great afterwards.

Give the guy a break for being honest. And note that all the people in 2+2 seem capable of saying about Hachem is that he is a bad tipper!!!-
Old 07-18-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will sound nuts to most of you - but I'd rather finish 2nd and get 4.25 mil than win and get 7.5 mil. I can easily live with 2.5 mil after taxes and not having the pressure of living up to winning the WSOP ME bracelet when I'm not anywhere close to a world-class player. So, if that is how Dannenmann felt, then I completely understand the feeling

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is a ridiculous point. I'm not saying that I agree, but I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

You win the extra 3.5mil (about 2mil extra after taxes) and that is good... but you are the champ and are doing interview after interview after interview for the next year. You are expected to show up at ALL the major tournies even if you know that you aren't good enough to be there. The 2nd place guy may take some grief for the next few weeks... the champ will get hammered for every bad play he makes for the rest of his life.

Just my thoughts - ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should anybody do what is expected from him ? If you don't want to play every big tourney, then don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. You don't "have to" play in any tourny. My point is simply that the winner gets an extra $3mil and poker immortality, but there is a cost to those things and I'm not 100% sure that the $3mil and the immortality outweigh the costs. See the beatings that Moneymaker/Varkoni/Raymer(to a lesser degree) take on these boards on a regular basis. The 2nd/3rd/4th place guys don't get that crap.

Anyone at the final table had a life changing financial windfall if they handle the $$$ correctly (you can't necessarily retire for $1mil, but it opens a LOT of options). Does the extra $3mil for winning pay for the chaos/pressure/etc that comes with being the champ? Not a question that I can answer, I'm just saying don't dismiss the "I'm perfectly fine with 2nd place" answer so quickly.

ThisHo
Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 PM

"I was overmatched and decided to take a shot"... OK

"I wasn't thinking right after playing poker for 80 hours" ... OK

"I was thinking about the extra $3 million and choked"... OK

But "I was bored"???

F'in loser.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent, Godfather. I laughed out loud when I scrolled down to that picture.

When I read that quote from Dannerman, I wanted to throttle the guy. He's at the final table of the WSOP, a wet dream for most of us, and he's BORED???

Hee-haw!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and don't share the feeling. Playing 14 hours a day for multiple days, I think my mental stamina would just be exhausted. I wouldn't be thinking or feeling clearly about things anymore. My desire to just go sleep might make me really detached from how much I wanted to be there in the first place or how much money is at risk.

I have a hard time sitting in one place for more than an hour just because my back stiffens up. I can't imagine trying to play one of these uber tournaments. I know I'd get to a point where I'd be lying on my back, feet in my chair, asking someone to hand me my cards....and advil.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:39 PM

I agree. Frankly I think Steve-0 (as we Md-ers call him) was stating the obvious about endless 6AM poker sessions. To be able to play poker correctly, you have to go into this zen-zone where the money and the cameras and the responsibilities and rewards all dematerialize, and the game becomes just numbers moving around on a table.

If y'all ain't never been bored as hell playing poker, y'all ain't played enough poker.

MARYLAND RULES!