Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Conjelco prices are nuts!

[ QUOTE ]
You started the thread essentially complaining about the price of books at this site compared to the walmart of booksellers. The price difference was approx $25.

[/ QUOTE ] True

[ QUOTE ]
You then posted how you probably could have saved a few more dollars if you purchased the books at several different retailers rather than all at the same place.

[/ QUOTE ] And stated that it was not worth saving the $5 for the effort

[ QUOTE ]
After many stating the other reasons to buy from here, you came out with the $25 per year thing. Do you care about the $5 per book savings or not?

[/ QUOTE ] Keep reading (you can do it), there is an added value for the $25 a year as opposed to getting the same exact books for more money

[ QUOTE ]
I guess if I'm slow, then you're quite confused about your actual stance. If the $25 is no big deal, why did you start the thread in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ] Keep reading (you can do it), there is an added value for the $25 a year as opposed to getting the same exact books for more money
Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Conjelco prices are nuts!

Perhaps your comprehension is a bit lacking?

Most of the posters in this thread are trying to illustrate to you the value that already exists in the site, and that this value, while free to us, is not free to host.

Yes, I am sure you would pay $25 for added support to the forum, as would most other people, but it doesn't change the support already given for free, and the service in general given, again, for free.

Just because something is free does not make it valueless.

To most sensible people, buying books from here for an extra $5 is worth it, because its giving back to the community, supporting ConJelCo as well as 2+2.

I think you took my cheapskate comment to heart, and far too seriously. It was said in jest, not to be a dickhead.

Currently, you're aiming to convince me, and I guess the thread viewers in general, that a one-time $25 "donation" for everything that this site offers for free is less valuable than paying $25 per month for some sort of extra support and options. To me, this is false. Buying the books through the site is a great way to show support for a great community, and the fact that they don't charge for such a great service just goes to make that "donation"(as i see it) that much better.

Sure, if we want to be as cost conscious as possible we can try to pick up the books with poker points from newpokersiteheretodaygonetomorrow and pay nearly nothing, or some amazon coupon, or pick it up at the library, but personally, I'd rather get them from here and help the community.

To each their own.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:24 PM

Default you haven\'t been paying enough attention, have you?

The minute somebody decides to exclude certain people or viewpoints, the thing doesn't work anymore.

You might want to revisit that statement... this exact thing HAS worked for 2+2, actually.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Default true, true, but what\'s stopping you?

However, others believe they contribute far more to the site than the benefit they receive. Those posters are also a fairly tight-knit group and would likely just privately discuss poker amongst themselves rather than pay a fee on this site.

I'm not asking you or others to leave, nor would I want you to. But what does the fee question have to do with what your "group" has a preference for? What's stopping you now?
Old 06-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: true, true, but what\'s stopping you?

I think it would be more the symbolism of making them pay. Those in the "Clarkmeister group" already pay a fair opportunity cost to post here. While they do benefit slightly they help the community much more so it would be a bit of a slap in the face to charge them a real cost.

If this sort of thing happened I'm sure these people could be given some sort of exemption or a group of us could scratch together the money to pay for their subscription.