Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: What is in your NL bag of tricks?

[ QUOTE ]
You give away info though. Flop bet has its pros and cons.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your opponents can come up with a good hand range for you everytime you make a flop bet then it's time to find different people to play against.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Leading out with draws

Limping with big pairs when agressive opponents are in late postion.

Putting in a larger than normal raise with a big pair preflop when you are lucky enought to have just taken down a couple pots with agression (they are irritated and put you on a steal so they overplay their hand): Last night I trippled up on one of my tables making it 16bb to go on the button after only one LP limper. I had just out agressed a LAG on the previous hand in postion. I had AA this hand. Big Blind (who had me covered) pushed with A10suited and LP limper called all in with pocket 9's.

Pushing all in from the blind with KK AA after being raised by a LP player who has raised you off your blind a couple times recently. It's good to do if there are a couple limpers. Then you can also type something like "Fu#@ You" in chat. If the conditions are right someone puts you on tilt and calls with a fair but not great hand.

Those are to be used sparingly and are for entertainment purposes. Solid play wins the $.

Folding good but second best hands, changing gears, increasing my agression, and playing my opponents for maximum value are the 'tricks' I'm still working on.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like to give away my tricks .... but ok.

-betting
-raising
-fastplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

fastplaying is the new slowplaying
Old 09-20-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You give away info though. Flop bet has its pros and cons.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your opponents can come up with a good hand range for you everytime you make a flop bet then it's time to find different people to play against.

[/ QUOTE ]

putting people on a range isn't hard. face cards, suits, connectors. pocket pairs are always tricky of course. anyways, except for bluffs, when someone bets on the flop, i am given good info, which is bad for the bettor.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like to give away my tricks .... but ok.

-betting
-raising
-fastplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

fastplaying is the new slowplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this in the mico-limit forum too. I like it.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
putting people on a range isn't hard. face cards, suits, connectors. pocket pairs are always tricky of course. anyways, except for bluffs, when someone bets on the flop, i am given good info, which is bad for the bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 37/8 raises otb preflop and 2 people call. flop is A72r, he bets, what 'good' info can you get from this? how is his range here narrowed versus his preflop range when he raised? what if it was limped 3-way and it is checked to him and he bets the same flop, how does his hand range narrow in that situation? how does it narrow if it was a heads-up raised pot? how does it narrow if it had > 3 limpers? how does it narrow if the flop was a lot more coordinated with flush draws and straight draws or with 3 running cards or even a monotone flop?

since most players won't be able to effectively narrow my hand range anyways when i bet then i'd rather build a big pot right away. pot sizes grow geometrically in nl and you give up way too much value if your usual line with hands that have a significant equity edge is to wait for later streets just because you fear that your opponent will be able to read your hand.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 PM

I like this. Most of the time, I prefer to perpetuate an image of weakness, and let the super aggro players do the betting for me. I tend to show very few hands this way. No one can put you on J7 suited when you raise with it later [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 PM

I didn't realize that people actually backed up their assertions with sound reasoning on the small stakes forum. I thought they just ignored requests to elaborate on their postions and to provide reasoned argument. Either that or they just adopt a new point of view without feeling any responsibility to defend, retract, or modify their prior assertions. YMMV.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Also, don't forget the good 'ol lead for a minimum bet into the preflop raiser with TPTK when your on a short stack getting him to push with an underpair. Little bastard got me with this one tonight lol.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM

My preflop raises are always the same(4bb). My flop bets are 3/4 to pot size, depending on how many see the flop. I rarely see the flop without raising, unless in the blinds. I never limp in early position. I love getting the hand heads up always bet the same. Tricks do not work, all in bluffs are not worth it. They will call if they catch any piece of the flop. If reraised by a tight weak player, I will fold. If reraised by loose aggressor, than I will push with 10s on up. Lot of variables, but I have found my bankroll growing with not showing the strengh of my hands with my first in raises. I push until somone pushes back, than I evaluate. Go to the Mid, high stakes forum for the trick bags. In the gutters, man you gotta be aggressive, be smart, fold when your heart tells you too, and your finger wants to click call, and play abc poker. Hey and poker tracking software is a big help in indentifying who to reraise and who to fold too.