Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: What motivates you?

Why I play:

1)Money. I make 5x more playing poker than my straight-out-of-college idea of income, web design.

2)Competition. I'm a very competitive person, always have been. When I was younger, online RTS games like Warcraft/Starcraft satiated my desire for competition, plus basketball and other sports. Now, poker is my outlet. I love it.

3)The Challenge. Moving up in limits is a big challenge for me, between bad cards and bad play I almost always hit a wall when I first move up. Overcoming obstacles like a 400BB downswing after moving up is good for me as a person, knowing I can rise to the challenge. Plus the sense of accomplishment is fantastic.

4)Freedom. I can surf when there's waves, and play poker when there are no waves. I can spend time with my girlfriend, or my family. I can travel, and still have an income wherever I go - so long as I can bring my laptop, and get internet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 AM

Excellent post Jonny.

Surf
Old 09-04-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the fact that your renumeration is "honourable" - the better you do your job, the more you get paid. I have spent time at jobs where no matter how much harder or better you did your job over the next guy, you got the same pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never thought about it that way, its almost like self appraisal to use a business analogy, nice post.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the fact that your renumeration is "honourable" - the better you do your job, the more you get paid. I have spent time at jobs where no matter how much harder or better you did your job over the next guy, you got the same pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point...
Old 09-04-2005, 03:16 PM

1.) it's now my job, and i need money
2.) i want to move up and improve
3.) i don't intend to do this forever, but IMO the getting is good right now, and i want mine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. I'm afraid our time is running out with games this good/legality.

Is this fear based on anything? I am not asking to be a wise ass, but because I respect what you have to say.

I have a more optimistic view of the future. Mostly based on America opening the gates to online gambling sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the wackiness of Mr. Bush, I just have fears there'll be the day when he goes after Internet gambling. I feel the fear is supported based on other actions within his administration such as the retarded push for "intelligent design" to be taught in classrooms, etc etc (ok I'll stop there since this isn't the politics forum). My fear about online legality is otherwise based on paranoia and a general fearing of the worst attitude that I often take.

As for game quality I do know the games I am playing in are getting consistently tougher. I have no doubt that it'll be a long time before I'm unable to earn $100/hr off online poker, but the days of more than the top few players being able to earn $500-$1000 an hour I think are not going to last much longer than maybe another year. I base this on no reasoning other than the general truth at all limits we can notice through PT and other observational methods games are getting tougher.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
500-$1000 an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

For players playing this high, and that are this good, you see the game texture changing to the point that this will change? I haven't put enough hours in above 50/100 to notice any changes, but it seems that there aren't many super-fish in these games to begin with.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Given the wackiness of Mr. Bush, I just have fears there'll be the day when he goes after Internet gambling. I feel the fear is supported based on other actions within his administration such as the retarded push for "intelligent design" to be taught in classrooms, etc etc (ok I'll stop there since this isn't the politics forum). My fear about online legality is otherwise based on paranoia and a general fearing of the worst attitude that I often take.

Cool. So we are both looking at the same issue and looking at the contents of the glass froma differnt angle. I suppose the best we can do hope [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for game quality I do know the games I am playing in are getting consistently tougher. I have no doubt that it'll be a long time before I'm unable to earn $100/hr off online poker, but the days of more than the top few players being able to earn $500-$1000 an hour I think are not going to last much longer than maybe another year. I base this on no reasoning other than the general truth at all limits we can notice through PT and other observational methods games are getting tougher.

Shooting from the hip here-

I dont think its good for the games when people are making that much an hour. Maybe it stems from jealously that I dont make that much (or anywhere near it) but I also think that a small % of persons taking such large amounts of money out of the games cant be good for the long term health.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
500-$1000 an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

For players playing this high, and that are this good, you see the game texture changing to the point that this will change? I haven't put enough hours in above 50/100 to notice any changes, but it seems that there aren't many super-fish in these games to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

if party opened up like 10 50-100 tables, there would be a bunch of super fish in there

it would be like the first month of opening the party 30-60
Old 09-04-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont think its good for the games when people are making that much an hour. Maybe it stems from jealously that I dont make that much (or anywhere near it) but I also think that a small % of persons taking such large amounts of money out of the games cant be good for the long term health.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense, but i think if anyone had the skill level to make 1000/hr, then wouldn't be thinking "i'm taking too much money outta the poker community, i should not play this super fish"