Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which was your favorite hand - from the way it was played, to the comments about it?
66 v 34s 9 11.39%
46s v 22 23 29.11%
65o v T6o 43 54.43%
AJs v K8s 1 1.27%
A9s v QQ 2 2.53%
One I forgot to mention (please list) 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: A tough spot w a big pretty flop

Big hand, great flop. I'm certainly looking to get all my chips in the middle on this flop.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Interesting hand, and one that's easy to both overthink and underthink (as witnessed by the replies).

Did you consider checking behind on the flop? There aren't too many scare cards for you, it keeps the pot small, might disguise your hand, and gets you to the river for only $75.

This may be hindsight thinking (and sure, it could bite you if the guy hits a free gutshot or underset on the turn) but if I'm going to lay down TPTK + nut flush draw to a flop check-raise by an unknown party blind defender, then I'd prefer to take this cheaper line.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Big flop Mikey. I he has a set or straight then oh well. Put all the chips in the middle and don't feel bad about it. It's that simple.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:37 PM

Good post. If you're not willing to put all your chips in the middle on this flop, don't bet - check. If you are, bet. When you should do one or the other is player dependent (is he capable of bluffing/semi-bluffing? what kind of hands is he willing to payoff with? etc.). After you've bet the flop you cannot fold with as much equity as you have vs. his probable range of hands, and just calling (as Paluka pointed out) is going to allow you to make a more costly error on the next street if you don't improve.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:37 AM

Betting the flop is correct. You're basing your line on the subsequent checkraise. An after the fact event. On the flop, you are betting the King, you have the flush backup. Had our opponant raised less, a call becomes more and more obvious. If our opponant merely raised $75 from the $75 bet, the call is automatic.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 AM

Betting shouldn't be "automatic" - you bet for a reason.

"You're basing your line on the subsequent checkraise"

Hm, I didn't suggest a 'line', per se. I said if you choose to do A, you should do X; if, for whatever reason, you do not think A is optimal, choose B and go from there. Contingency plan good.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:36 AM

Well, the point being is I disagree with your premise that he should have checked the flop because he couldn't withstand the big raise. At the risk of belaboring the point, we bet the flop in this instance because we can honestly believe we are ahead, and we will obtain information from the resultant action from our opponant.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not willing to put all your chips in the middle on this flop, don't bet

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a retarded statement.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:50 AM

Yes it is. There are plenty of other reasons to bet and that was horribly worded.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM

I posted this hand not bc of the results, but bc its not often the timer almost runs out on me, but it nearly did this time.

i resisted the autoraise urge i get when I have TP and a flush draw and thought for a second. I went from almost folding, to almost calling, to then thinking that i really didnt want call and then fold a blank turn. (at the time i didnt realize the math was that close).

so i reraise pot, he thinks for a sec. and rereraises pot [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] sh!t...I call.

turn: blank

river:K [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

but his 99 was more than good.

thanks for all the good responses guys,

gl at the tables,

fsuplayer