Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: White robe sighting

I think it's pretty clear that Beer and Pizza was attempting to look at the real Rosa Parks and not a built up image of her. That is not denigrating. That's trying to be objective.

Cedric the Entertainer said basically the same thing that Beer and Pizza has. Is he a racist too?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 PM

Where did I claim he was being racist? I said no such thing - I just said he was being needlessly insulting.

As for Cedric the Entertainer, fine - comedy is supposed to take the significance out of things. Again, I never accused anyone of racism, just of missing the point. You know, she died today.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Squash

[ QUOTE ]
Beer and Pizza simply let off a racist and bigoted comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really amazing how easily and automatically accusations like that roll off some people's tongues, like a knee-jerk reflex.

Are you seriously suggesting that saying something negative about a particular person who happens to be black constitutes racism!? If that's not it, then please tell me where the racism is in what B+P said in this thread.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did I claim he was being racist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Others here have.

[ QUOTE ]
I just said he was being needlessly insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he was being insulting at all.

[ QUOTE ]
As for Cedric the Entertainer, fine - comedy is supposed to take the significance out of things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that particular quote from Barbershop prompted Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to try and boycott the movie, so I think it was meant to be taken seriously.

[ QUOTE ]
You know, she died today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Technically she died yesterday.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty clear that Beer and Pizza was attempting to look at the real Rosa Parks and not a built up image of her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think his intentions are as clear as you seem to believe.

But I digress.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You know, she died today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Technically she died yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

In the context of this discussion, it doesn't really matter if it was late last night or this morning. Arguing technicalities is silly and juvenile.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty clear that Beer and Pizza was attempting to look at the real Rosa Parks and not a built up image of her. That is not denigrating. That's trying to be objective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is, why Beer and Pizza's view about Rosa Park is the real Rosa Park and why a different view is a built up image of her?

If you or him are so sure that the following quote happened

"It was arranged ahead of time that she would refuse to leave her seat, and they knew no harm would come to her. She was just the lucky person picked to be the "symbol" of the bus boycott."

Why then just present the study where is proved? Who did the study or research? The methodology?

He made that claim, the burden of the proof is on him, frankly, Don't you think this way is easier to prove your claim instead of just keep repeating it?

I give you both the benefit of the doubt, but if you don't have a serious argument about that claim, then what would be the purpose of doing it?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:35 PM

Default I\'ll ask again

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with being a pawn. Many a game of chess is won by a pawn and pawns have been important to many a political or social movement. I'd be a pawn for a good cause too.

The best way to honor someone who has been a pawn for a cause is to respect them for being that pawn for a cause.

To remember a false image of a person shows no respect for her at all. So why do some here feel they must do so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting this history from? Can you name the book? It contradicts everything I know about the story.

You are making some fantastic claims, it would be nice to see some support so you could educate us all.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Rosa Parks takes the bus

[ QUOTE ]
She is well known because she was used to integrate the buses, but she didn't do much of anything.

It was arranged ahead of time that she would refuse to leave her seat, and they knew no harm would come to her. She was just the lucky person picked to be the "symbol" of the bus boycott.

That puts her in the same category as Norma McCorvey (the Roe in Row v. Wade) who was used to advance the anti-abortion issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was chosen to be the symbol of the movement out of a small number of brave and defiant blacks who did similar acts.

The reason you are being called out is for: "she didnt do much of anything" and "she was just lucky," both comments pretty stupid and ignorarnt.

Also, if you have no source to prove the event itself was staged, then why make the allegation? Did they enlist some white people or just cross their fingers that the white section would fill up? This interview shows no sign of staging.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 PM

Default LOL

[ QUOTE ]

Cedric the Entertainer said basically the same thing that Beer and Pizza has. Is he a racist too?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. Since Ced is black and he spoke about other black people, he must be right.

Attempting to look at the real rosa parks? B&P made some as-of-yet unsubstantiated claims in his post that contradict conventional wisdom about what went down that day. If he at least offered some references to his version of how things went down, we could have a reasonable argument.