Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Jeter and A-Rod in the 9th inning

[ QUOTE ]
I posted about this elsewhere, but I suspect it's in a thread that might be deleted, so here it is again:

As they came off the field after the last out in the bottom of the 8th, the camera caught Jeter exhorting A-Rod with a "Let's go!" or "C'mon" or something. He shouted at him. Jeter was to lead off and Alex was to bat second.

I knew at that moment that Jeter would get on base. I knew it. And he did. And Jeter suspected, I guess, that Alex would be pressing or nervous or whatever and wanted to pump him up to attack.

Sure enough Jeter got on. And sure enough, Alex "choked," killing what could have been a potential rally when the next two guys behind him got on base.

Jeter took a strike whereas Alex swung at the first strike. Mistake by Alex? Not really. Jeter's job was to get on base since his team was down by two runs. Once he got on, Alex was swinging to tie the game. Still, Jeter got a hanger and Alex swung at a low pitch that was going to be a ground ball if he made contact. Alex could have waited for a better pitch to handle.

But I still think that shot of Jeter yelling at Alex coming off the field was quite something. And then the guy who was yelling whacked a hit and the guy who needed to be yelled at hit into a season-ending double play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Zeno

PS. You'll get the meaning of this sooner or later.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:00 AM

I had some time to do some thinking on this game while i wasn't sleeping last night. As much as I want to blame the Yankees for not getting it done, or on the ump that had a side bet on the Angels, you gotta give it to the Angels for never wavering. Even being hurt, Colon got out of a jam in the first inning with 2 runners on, and got away with only 2 runners scoring in the 2nd, where there should have been AT LEAST 3. After that, the kid Santana pitched a gem. What are you going to do though?

It's a cold, grey day in NYC today, and that feels about right.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Yeah, I didn't sleep much either, but you're right. As much as the Yankees did wrong, the Angels did right. Their fielding, in particular, was brilliant the entire series. It's never (or rarely) a case of one team just messing up, but rather a team doing the things it needs to do whereas the other doesn't.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: ***The OFFICIAL Yanks @ Angels ALDS***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wow. Torre is actually pinch running for Giambi. I didn't know he was capable of using his bench players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that it ended up mattering, but why? pinch run for Giambi? His run is meaningless and you are eliminating one of your big bats if it goes into extras. I agree pinch running with Sheffield because his run means something, but not Giambi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you PR for Giambi, lessen the chance of a force out, which helps extend the inning. Who cares about extras right now, you need to tie this thing up.