Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: AKs in EP facing a raise from a way tight player...

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's being a wimp but what's wrong with waiting for a better spot?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with it, but if you are going to fold AKs to a raise from a unknown (maybe-tight) player, then you need to either get more practice so you know how to play that hand w/o going broke most of the time, or switch down limits to where you are more comfortable at.

Just bc a (Party) player has a decent size stack, it does not mean they are a good player at all. I usually love seeing these big stacks bc the players who get them are overly LAG and happen to be catching cards that day. This might not be the case in your game, but in general, online stack sizes do not mean anything.

fsuplayer
Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's being a wimp but what's wrong with waiting for a better spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing at all. This is a marginal play at best.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with it, but if you are going to fold AKs to a raise from a unknown (maybe-tight) player, then you need to either get more practice so you know how to play that hand w/o going broke most of the time, or switch down limits to where you are more comfortable at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I'm playing some NL and posted this hand.

I'm open to options on how to play this hand... but I don't see my way clear to how I get to a showdown or buy this hand without committing much, if not all, of my stack.

Maybe when the rags flop and she bets out $8 I can push and get her to fold. Maybe, but I have no idea with only 3 previous hands played, none of which she took past the flop, how she plays a hand she likes when met with resistance.

Maybe I coulda raised to $10 pre-flop and see how she responds but that's still 30% of my stack and I somehow doubt that's getting her to fold. Maybe this is much ado about nothing but when a player is playing half as many hands as I do, I tend to give'em credit as being tight.

Seems to me if an apparently tight player is firing chips at the pot the only way you avoid going broke most of the time is by avoiding a confrontation.

[ QUOTE ]
Just bc a (Party) player has a decent size stack, it does not mean they are a good player at all. I usually love seeing these big stacks bc the players who get them are overly LAG and happen to be catching cards that day. This might not be the case in your game, but in general, online stack sizes do not mean anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more, any other player at this table and I'm firing chips at the pot... but in my post I am talking about a specific opponent in a specific situation. Overly LAG players with big stacks play more than 4 hands in 4 orbits.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:10 PM

All I want you to get from this post Razor, is that you dont have to go broke with AKs when you play it.

I would not reraise preflop.
I would not continue post flop unless it had two or more [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s, an ace or a king.

With your stack, I would put it all in the center if an Ace fell. Your stack is not biggest enough, and there is only one hand ahead of you, which is very unlikely (AA).

Same thing if the king falls.

I would not try to get fancy and move her off her hand. I would smooth call pf, and only continue if the above conditions are correct.

Dont try and get cute with it. If the ace or king or 2 spades flop, continue with the hand, if not dump it, $4 lost.

fsuplayer

btw keep posting, as it not only helps you, but me and everyone else with an open mind.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:28 PM

Although it doesn't mean "much" UTG is playing tight and does have the largest stack at the table.

I fold here, you're not dominating any hand they hold.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the last time UTG entered a hand but I do seem to remember I had something I was gonna limp with until she raised. This player hasn't played but a couple hands and hasn't showndown a hand since I sat down (about 4 orbits). UTG surely has a big hand and I wish I had a piece of cheese so I have an easy decision.

What do I do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

look at this read again. i would advocate a fold if you the read said something like "i have 150 pokertracker hands of data on this player and s/he raises 2% of the time."

but hero has only been here for 4 orbits and is basing this read of tightness on memory. and anyway, 4 orbits is very few hands, and the fact that the villain hasn't seen any showdowns is a) unreliable (no offense hero, but i'd be shocked if your memory were that good) and b) not very relevant. we need to know pre-flop raise %, not % showdowns seen.

i personally would reraise here rather than fold. if villain pushes, i'll call. but i don't like the pre-flop cold call because then if rags flop then the pre-flop raiser will probably successfully steal.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:40 PM

There are two ways I would play this hand:

1) Just like you did. Call preflop and fold on the flop.

2) Raise preflop and push all-in to a reraise. Based on her large bet and the fact you have AK, she probably has an underpair. She might well fold it to the all-in bet, and if not, you've got a coin flip.

My problem with folding preflop is this: If you won't play AKs against this player, what will you play? If Dan Harrington made this bet, I'd still call it. It's just too good a hand. If you're scared to play AK, with position, then you're playing in a game that's too big.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:51 PM

Default What You Do with QQ??

For all of those who are advocating a fold preflop...

What would you do then with QQ, which given the range of hands people are suggesting the raiser may have, is much more likely to be dominated than AKs?

fsuplayer
Old 07-07-2004, 05:59 PM

UTG raises 8x the blind in a 0.25/0.50c game.

You have a pretty good understanding of the type of player this person is, and even though you have only sat down for four BB's, this player is telling you that she is tight because of her playing %. So I see it this way, if the UTG raiser is raising 8x the blind ($4.00) pre-flop then she is hoping to ensure either a heads up match or a 3 way match. I really doubt she would limp with a strong hand UTG at a .25/.50c table basically because she is at the level where allot of loose players and "fish" tend to sit, and even though she wants action on her hand, a raise is ensuring that she gets the most out of her hand while it is still the most valuable.

On the other hand Aks, even though it's a very strong hand, it can't be played against a very tight player that raised UTG, unless of course you know that player really well and you know that player would be capable of making huge raises UTG with T's - Q's.

So as you see, a fold is the right play in your situation
Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: call

call and get at least another person to come along. Then play the hand according to whether you hit or miss. Then play it according to any reads.