Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Daliman, ZeeJustin, Jason Strasser and...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, for me, i played about 5 100+9's, found them beatable, got up to about $800 in my account, played a few $200+15's, found the same, and immediately started playing 4 at a time as much as was humanly possible, never once getting broke.

Your results my vary...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't try this at home, folks... this is generally considered a rather extreme overplaying of bankroll by most.

I don't care how beatable they are, you're going to lose 4 buy-ins in a row on a regular basis. Daliman got lucky to not go broke while getting off the ground here.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, however i was closer to 1600 when i started 4 tabling. the inference is still the same however. I have dropped as much as 4200 before stabilizing at times, which seems lower than most that 4 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, were you already an experienced SNG or MTT player before you started playing the bigger buy-in SNGs? how many of those $100s and $200s do you play everyday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I average about 300-400 a month, but was primarily a ring limit player with decent NL MTT experience. I used to hate SNG's. ANd yes, I'm more than a bit of a plunger, so i definitely don't recommend my way. Standard i think is having at least25 buyins if you are a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

300-400 a month? DAMN!! so do you think the best route that i can do toward becoming a solid and profitable SNG player
is to grind it out at the low limits? maybe judge my longterm success by evaluating it when i reach 500-1000 $5 SNGs? i'm open to just about anything within reason to become the best SNG player i can. i've been toying with the idea of purchasing Wilson's Tournament Texas Holdem and Acespades Tournament software, but i have'nt been able to get a definitive answer on which is better from the players who have them. i'm looking to purchase Tom McEvoy and Brad Daughtery's CHAMPIONSHIP SATELLITE STRATEGY because i think it would benefit me well with SNG play. any other suggestions you think could be valuable is appreciated.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:56 PM

Hi Guys,

I wanted to chime in on a couple of these. I played $50 PP Sit N Go's for 11 months before moving up. I had tremendous stats (high ITM% and high ROI). The last 4 months I played I averaged over 5K a month playing them (1.5 at a time). I left most of the $$ in there and started playing $200 with a 15K BR. Best move I ever made.

Note that during my time doing this I have won $5300 in one day and lost 2600+ another. I have had one 10 tourney losing streak and one 8 tourney losing streak in the last two months. Because of the big BR, I don't worry, just keep plugging away. Now I generally play 2-3 at a time. Still have a hard time after 3 (tried it once, just too hard for me to keep track of). Regardless, I am doing very well.

That said, what if you went into this with 4-6 buyins and lost 6 straight. It is easy to do, even playing very well. Come in with a solid bankroll (as Eastbay said) and you will have alot more success IMO.

Pitcher
Old 06-15-2004, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

I wanted to chime in on a couple of these. I played $50 PP Sit N Go's for 11 months before moving up. I had tremendous stats (high ITM% and high ROI). The last 4 months I played I averaged over 5K a month playing them (1.5 at a time). I left most of the $$ in there and started playing $200 with a 15K BR. Best move I ever made.

Note that during my time doing this I have won $5300 in one day and lost 2600+ another. I have had one 10 tourney losing streak and one 8 tourney losing streak in the last two months. Because of the big BR, I don't worry, just keep plugging away. Now I generally play 2-3 at a time. Still have a hard time after 3 (tried it once, just too hard for me to keep track of). Regardless, I am doing very well.

That said, what if you went into this with 4-6 buyins and lost 6 straight. It is easy to do, even playing very well. Come in with a solid bankroll (as Eastbay said) and you will have alot more success IMO.

Pitcher

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, i'm nowhere near the level of playing $200 SNGs, much less the $50s. i'm a low limit grinder.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:42 PM

I'll chime in. I don't play SnGs all that often. Maybe a couple dozen a month, with lots of MTTs and NL cash games. This question has kind of become "where did your bankroll come from" anyway.

Started as a limit player on party. 2/4, 3/6, occasional stabs at 5/10. I think I originally cashed in $100, lost it, then cashed in $200, found 2+2, read theory of poker, and managed to get it up to ~$700-800 and then tried my hand at a $10 limit sit-n-go. Won it. Played another. Won it. Played another. Won it. Played another. 2nd place. Hey, this game is easy! :P

After that I played mostly $10 and $20 limit sit n gos for a while, and occasionally took shots at $20-$30 limit multis (at this point NL poker, even tournaments, frightened and confused me; this was maybe about 5 years ago).

Anyway, after a couple low money finishes, I won a $20 or $30 MTT for ~$1500. I started reading the tournament board here more carefully, especially the NL stuff. I bought Sklansky's then just released tournament book, and I re-read Theory of Poker with NL tournaments in mind. I heard that Stars was the best tournament site around, so I moved some money over there and started playing there. I didn't have much luck there at first; I kept having to transfer money over from party. At one point, I was down to my last $50 or so on pokerstars (I had over $2000 on party though) and I entered a late night $50 PL tournament and placed 4th, good for a couple hundred dollars. The next day I played a $30 multi and won it for ~$2000.

Since then, I've essentially never looked back. I've won 3 $100 tournaments with relatively small fields (~120) (good for ~$3500 each), and also made the top 4 (including a couple wins) in several $30-$50 tournaments. Somewhere in here, I turned some kind of corner where limit tournaments started boring the bejeezus out of me, so I pretty much stopped playing them.

Umm. I know that wasn't really the original question, but there is where my bankroll came from in a really large untidy, patched together nutshell...
Old 06-15-2004, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll chime in. I don't play SnGs all that often. Maybe a couple dozen a month, with lots of MTTs and NL cash games. This question has kind of become "where did your bankroll come from" anyway.

Started as a limit player on party. 2/4, 3/6, occasional stabs at 5/10. I think I originally cashed in $100, lost it, then cashed in $200, found 2+2, read theory of poker, and managed to get it up to ~$700-800 and then tried my hand at a $10 limit sit-n-go. Won it. Played another. Won it. Played another. Won it. Played another. 2nd place. Hey, this game is easy! :P

After that I played mostly $10 and $20 limit sit n gos for a while, and occasionally took shots at $20-$30 limit multis (at this point NL poker, even tournaments, frightened and confused me; this was maybe about 5 years ago).

Anyway, after a couple low money finishes, I won a $20 or $30 MTT for ~$1500. I started reading the tournament board here more carefully, especially the NL stuff. I bought Sklansky's then just released tournament book, and I re-read Theory of Poker with NL tournaments in mind. I heard that Stars was the best tournament site around, so I moved some money over there and started playing there. I didn't have much luck there at first; I kept having to transfer money over from party. At one point, I was down to my last $50 or so on pokerstars (I had over $2000 on party though) and I entered a late night $50 PL tournament and placed 4th, good for a couple hundred dollars. The next day I played a $30 multi and won it for ~$2000.

Since then, I've essentially never looked back. I've won 3 $100 tournaments with relatively small fields (~120) (good for ~$3500 each), and also made the top 4 (including a couple wins) in several $30-$50 tournaments. Somewhere in here, I turned some kind of corner where limit tournaments started boring the bejeezus out of me, so I pretty much stopped playing them.

Umm. I know that wasn't really the original question, but there is where my bankroll came from in a really large untidy, patched together nutshell...

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, it was'nt really a BANKROLL question, per se. it had more to do with WHAT ROUTE the big buy-in SNG players took to get to playing the $100s and $200s almost exclusively. it's none of my business what others made or are currently making, BUT the somewhat openness is much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
other successful bigger limit SNG players, how did you all advance to the level you're playing at now? was it a natural progression over time or was it a more quicker ascension due to early and profitable success?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing $25 buy-in NL ring games, moved to the $50 buy-in NL ring games, then tried the $5 SnG thing.

I quickly moved to the $10+1s when I realized the rake sucked at $5. I quickly moved to the $30s over a period of a few weeks. I waffled between the $30s and the $50s for a few months, finally settling into the $50s and started getting solid results in the $50s. Recently I have been waffling between the $100s and the $50s (when I take a beating in the $100s, sometimes I drop back down to regroup.)

Hopefully I have broken the $100s barrier for good this time.

Pretty standard stuff, I think.

eastbay
Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 PM

did any of you guys have any set route that you took toward becoming profitable upper-limit SNG players.

*example: software programs like Wilson's TTH or Tournament Texas Holdem, specific NL Holdem books, etc.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:02 PM

Hmmmmm, Pitcher's a regular at the $200s. Who might you be?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you asking me?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you asking me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhh, no. I was asking Pitcher. You know, the guy I replied to.

But of course I'll pay a handsome reward for any info on this mystery man. And if you could tell me what kind of pitcher he is, that would help. Baseball, water holder, guy trying to make a sale, guy setting up a tent???? Help a brother out.