Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Where good players have the edge in a Sit and Go.

Hahaha... Someone from Durham. I actually am from New York City and I attend Duke. Durham is a piece of crap, but I get used to it.

Can we talk about poker? Thanks.

And by the way, my name on party is strassa2 so feel free to find me at a 200 sng and call me down.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:27 PM

When do you usually play?

>
And by the way, my name on party is strassa2 so feel free to find me at a 200 sng and call me down.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:36 PM

What you dont get, Harry, is that 2+2ers will not call with J10s, EVEN IF THEY KNOW that he often makes this play. It is simply not worth the risk when someone is about to get blinded out. I might not even call here if I had J10s and I his cards and they were 56s.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:40 PM

Jason,

You ask what hands I call your all-in reraise with.

Here is a line of thinking I might pursue on my initial raise:

I don't want to raise if a reraise will make me vomit.
Depending on my reads of the remaining players, I might
decide to play AKo, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and even TT. Maybe even more. But before raising, I have already decided that I am willing to call an all-in reraise from the gang I see to my left. If the all-in is called before it gets back to me, I'll tighten even more.

I might limp with less, and fold to your raise.

On the other hand, every so often I'll limp with AA or KK to trap you.

On the reraise, I might think:
Would he push with AA or KK? I don't think so. I think he'd minraise to suck more dollars in. As the two big stacks, it is in neither of our interests to flip a coin at this point. But if he doesn't have AA or KK, his push is liable to lead to a coinflip. Therefore, he doesn't want to be called. Therefore, guess what?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sabre170
Old 06-04-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are four handed. I have T3300, blinds are 200/400. I'm dealt 5 6 in the SB. Button has T2800, BB stack is around 3k and UTG has 600 or so.

UTG folds, smart and sharp button raises minumum. I push, zero hesitation, both fold. I add 1200 to my stack that was not there when I started the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like solid play to me.

BTW, anyone that starts off a reply with the phrase, "You risked your whole tournament with 65s???" is completely wrong, and does not understand several basic poker concepts. Think about things like EV, finishing 1st isntead of 3rd. Forget thinking about "65s all-in preflop". He's not planning on being called.

Btw, if anyone says you should wait for a better hand to make this play, like A2o, they would be wrong. 65s is a perfect hand to make this play with. You aren't dominated unless you are against an overpair. Even then, what's the best hand preflop hot and cold against AA? I believe it's 76s. Reraising here with A2o and getting called by AQo would be a disaster.

Also, the fact that the button minraised is important here too. Unfortuantely, some people slowplay strong hands like this, but for others, it means nothing but weakness.

[ QUOTE ]
What is my most common finish? First. What is my second most common finish? Fourth.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad distribution at all. What's 3rd place prize? Not even twice the buyin. F*CK a 3rd place finish.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:51 PM

Next time someone does this to me i'm gonna call with any two, yeah alright mack sure you will! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 06:15 PM

1) Nobody in the thread has even referred to the hand as a factor...the hand is nearly transparent in this case. I was the one who referred to "risking your tournament" but it had nothing to do with the hand he was holding.....it has EVERYTHING to do with risking your entire stack with the #4 guy is about to be blinded off and lock you down in the money. Yes, I realize this provides an opportunity to bluff. Yes, I also think that it's not too bright to risk your whole stack on this bluff if you can get the fold without it.

2) Where did you get A2o from? Unless I missed that post you're posting a counterargument to an arguement that was never made.

3) 3rd place may only be "twice the buyin" but it's twice the buyin more than the payout for 4th place. Also...no one is suggesting he lay down in 3rd...once you're in the money, if you can't manuever your way into 1st or 2nd in the majority of cases then you're likely playing a little above your head.

Me...I say F*CK not getting paid for the hour I spent at the table if I'm that close to the money. Once I'm in the money, then I'm taking first or busting out trying....but at least then I've gotten two more shots for my effort (2x buyin payout for 3rd).

Anyways...I'm not arguing this one anymore...if you guys like raising all-in when you can get the same effect for less risk, knock yourselves out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 06:39 PM

If you are "risking less," you are allowing the initial riser to "risk less" by calling as well as he will be thinking the same thing (i.e. will still have enough to play with if it doesn't work out). I don't play at those stakes, but pushing and putting the guy to a decision for ALL of his chips seems to be a pretty critical componant of the play.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this works great untill the button shows up with KK AA etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Which, statistically, is improbable, especially 4 handed. Even so, he still has 5 cards to make a hand.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:51 PM

It pays to point out at this point too that his move was based on sitting with these guys for the last 45 minutes and I would imagine he's got a decent read on the button. If the Button was playing fast and loose and continued to do so short handed, I would imagine that this move wouldn't have been made.