Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Yeah, I think he is that good

I do think he misplayed the Kings in that hand. Not when he layed them down, but I think he should have put the raise in before the flop.

I can't tell you exactly what he was thinking when he decided to lay them down, but when there was a $3500 bet and call, I think he made the right move. He may have already been beat with a set or Aces. If he was up against QQ or some other pair and Ah Kh, he only wins that pot 46% of the time, and have to risk ALL his to get there. If you ask me, thats not the type of situation I want be all-in in the WSOP.

He made a read and got off the kings. Too many players can't do either of those things.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:47 PM

Yes I agree. I cant see me picking up KK and allowing it to be a multiway pot. The laydown is questionable but he made it questionable on the safe side. And you're right not too many player could do that.

KC
Old 05-31-2004, 07:54 PM

Once upon a time, Mike Sexton created something that lasted like one year, called "The Tournament of Champions". I was in Vegas and watched the final table of this event. There was one hand I will never forget. I think it was two or three handed. Louis Asmo raises, David Chiu reraises, and then Asmo goes all-in. Chiu thinks long and hard about it, folds and then flips over his pocket Kings. The crowd gasps in awe. Louis shows his Aces. This fold allowed Chiu to go on and win the tournament.

Champions know how to lay down a huge hand. Its a certainty that many times they are way ahead, but a wrong decision to fold may cost you from obtaining some chips, while a wrong decision to play it can cost you the tournament. Think about it.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Is Phil Helmuth even THAT good?

Phil sounds like he has happy feet. He maybe just mentally shot. There is a reason why Fischer can't beat top chess pros anymore, it could be the same reason why Phil can't win anymore..........
Old 05-31-2004, 09:02 PM

What the heck are you talking about? He won two friggin WSOP bracelets last year!!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Facts speak

He did outlast 2200 people despite these plays, and his overall winnings in the WSOP are about $3,600,000. I find it hard to believe that someone will reach that amount without being THAT good.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Daryn

They will now. But prior to this by and large they are not use to large field NL tournaments. Why should they be? Until now it would have been a waste of their time. How much could they make per hour anyway at these things?

But since they are tremendous talents there will become expert at these real fast. They won't even have to play much, but just think about it a little, and discuss it among themselves.

But, no, I don't believe they had the experience. Read some of Daniel's comments.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Daryn

Ive seen Daniel play money games on PokerStars. And I am not so nieve to believe that he (or any other big name pro) had never invested in a couple $200 buy in tourneys to try and win a cheap seat in the WSOP or the PP Million etc.. These tourneys can be played any night of the week from the comfort of your own couch in front of the TV and youre telling me that its a waste of a pro's time to play a few of these events to win buy-in's to major events and keep their skills sharp. Keep dreaming.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: not that good anymore

Whoever said tournament poker is about survival is right, however there is no better chance to build up you stack then when u have a situation where your opponent has two outs (other than no outs, but that is far less common).

If anybody ever reraised phil, pushed him out of the pot, and showed him two rags, I am fairly certain he would immediatly go on tilt.

Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fischer can't beat top chess pros anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding?