Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Why terrorism works

and if you think any people in the entire world would not resist a wave of immigrants turning up and deciding to build a new state with them as the majority there, you;re crazy.

and you defend it coming from one

And you defend it coming from the other.

The difference is, I defend people that gave me a homeland, while you defend people you have otherwise no connection to.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Middle East Terrorists Kill 20. Bush: oh well

"thought suicide bombers were "resisting occupation"! If they're resisting occupation then they're rational and not murderous savages. And if they're rational then knowing that their family will be homeless likely will stop them."

They're resisiting it illegitamately, and they clearly aren't acting rationally. Living in somewhere like Gaza, seeing your friends shot by the IDF, growing up through incursions and firefights and demolitions, will do that to you, and to society as a whole.

It is clearly illegal, and utterly disgusting, to punish innocent people in order to deter guilty people.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:14 AM

When your deterrent tends to enrage rather than deter, it might be time to rethink how it is working.

Enrage, perhaps, but now that terrorist organizations are only "hiring" retarded children and adultresses, I'll take their fury over their bombs.

Their fury, I can negotiate with.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is, I defend people that gave me a homeland, while you defend people you have otherwise no connection to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that kind of suggest who might have the biased opinion on the matter???

Just out of curiousity (if you don't want to answer, no big deal) I noticed that your location lists Toronto. Did you relocate to Canada after living in Israel? How long did you live in Israel?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:17 AM

"And you defend it coming from the other."

No I don't. Anti-Jewish riots were predictable and but not defensible. Large scale hostility to the project was perfectly reasonable; noone would accept such a ridiculous undertaking in their own land - but violence against civilians is always wrong. The anti-British uprising, and once the state was established, fighting against Israeli soldiers, was defensible. YOu on the other hand have openly defended placing bombs in civilian markets.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:30 AM

It is clearly illegal, and utterly disgusting, to punish innocent people in order to deter guilty people.

The PA pays out thousands to each family that has been rendered homeless because of a terrorist.

Israel has offered to relocate all Palestinians whose houses have been demolished as a result of the Rafiach operation.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:33 AM

"The PA pays out thousands to each family that has been rendered homeless because of a terrorist."

Then what is the point of the policy? Just to make people miserable?

"Israel has offered to relocate all Palestinians whose houses have been demolished as a result of the Rafiach operation. "

Where to, Beirut?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM

noone would accept such a ridiculous undertaking in their own land - but violence against civilians is always wrong. The anti-British uprising, and once the state was established, fighting against Israeli soldiers, was defensible. YOu on the other hand have openly defended placing bombs in civilian markets.

I have defended the Etzel's right to defend Jews against Arab terrorist belligerence, which is not the same as placing a bomb in civilian markets.

That specific thread was a question of what comprises defence - perhaps you have a way of deterring an enemy who believes you are less than human and thus do not believe they are bound by the laws of morality.

What I think is inconsequential, as the Etzel was vilifed by the Yishuv and dismantled when the State was established.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:37 AM

Where to, Beirut?

Elsewhere in Gaza.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:37 AM

"I have defended the Etzel's right to defend Jews against Arab terrorist belligerence, which is not the same as placing a bomb in civilian markets."

You defended the deliberate bombing of a civilian Arab market.