Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: $60k in 60 Days -- Days 4 & 5

While everyone has a different situation, my general advice would be to move away from home as fast as possible. It may be hard for parents (especially moms) to let their kids go, but for the most part afterwards it turns out better.

The problem with being an adult living at home is that you will in some way be treated as a kid (ie, the constant need to answer questions). The sooner you get in a situation where your mom is forced to treat you as an adult son the better you will be off. This is of course without knowing all the specific details.

But letting go of a cheap living while gaining the independance you need as an adult is definately +EV imo.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:55 AM

the more i think about it.....the more i think that if your mom won't have a complete breakdown about it you might be better off spending the summer on your own.

talk it over with them and see what everyone thinks.
i dont recommend doing it out of anger or just to get away from everyone....but if you are all in agreement that it wouldnt be such a bad idea then consider it.

i now recall that i lived with a friend of mine when i was 20 during a summer. i went to college in my small home-town so i was basically living that summer about 2 miles from my parents.
actually, there was nothing to stop me from crashing out at my parents place during the regular school year too...but i lived in the various dorimtories and/or apartments throughout my collegiate years.

of course, when my parents would go on vacation i would 'house-sit' while they were gone and had the whole place to myself. it made for quite the useful pad for picking up whatever young sweet-thing i was after at the given time.

speaking of which, that would be the bigger reason for me wanting to get my own place....no hassle over staying out too late....and slightly less intrusive for fooling around with Jessica Simpson, or whatever passable substitute you can come up with.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just keep posting them like you have been. Lumping them all together will be a mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When each thread gets this many posts there is no reason putting them all together. Splitting them makes navigation easier.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM

I think you mom has some legitimate concerns and some that are less legitimate.

She is concerned that you may lose your ambition for other things. I think this is a real concern. If money comes so easily to you, it may be difficult to pursue a career other than poker. It may also interfere with your academics. I'm sure there are posters on this forum whose academic performance has been affected by poker. I'm not saying that this will happen to you, but that your mom's concern is reasonable.

However, her concern about what she will tell her friends is not your problem. She should be less concerned about that. You shouldn't choose an activity or career so your parents will feel comfortable with their friends.

Ultimately, I believe that you will best off pursuing the things that you love rather than the things that other people expect from you. You are at the age where you need to become your own person. Your parents opinions are important, but ultimately they will respect your choice if you are sucessful and they see that you are happy.

It's good to have choices in life, so make sure that while you are pursuing your poker goals, you don't close the door to other opportunities which might be even more rewarding and profitable.

Good luck with the quest.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM

"I've known her all my life........"

The above quote is Schneids remark about his mother.

I have one word to describe my impression of this quote.

Priceless. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]