Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker discriminating players.

What's so wrong about it? They made the offer available to everyone. They shouldn't have to cater to your SPECIFIC wants when they made it so very clear what could be done.

I'm with Mongeron on this, but for different reasons.

It wasn't clear at all, I watched four tables at the start and three of them had more than one person asking why they didn't have as many chips as other players.

The site only advertised that you needed to play 3k raked hands for 300 chips, you had to go to the darker depths of the tourney rules before finding out about the 10k for 1000.

This meant that some people didn't bother getting the 300 thinking that 1300 vs 1000 wasn't too bad, only to find themselves with half the leaders stack before a card was dealt.

Imagine what would happen if someone with a mouth like Phil Helmuth or Gabby had entered at the last second....

Lori
Old 04-17-2004, 10:21 PM

One thing that I do agree about, is that it was extremely improper of them to only list the starting chip deal on the internet. It was never so much as mentioned in thge tournament lobby, and a few of my less clued in friends, had absolutely no idea about it and would have never paid 600 bucks otherwise.
All the pertinent information should be in the tournament lobby, you shouldnt have to goto the website to see if you are going to start with extra chips in a tournament, where there is not even any mention of extra chips in the tournament lobby!!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:35 PM

on this matter i will agree with curtains and lori that the way party did not properly inform all players is definately improper (based on the facts they have posted).

however, even if they had properly informed everyone in the lobby (like they should have) the poster would still have a problem with the way in which the extra chips were distributed.

but it is entirely inappropriate to have a tourney and not inform the players somehow that some of the players will be starting with extra-chips.
i would demand a refund from party if i were one of these players that shelled out $600...although i certainly wouldn't expect party to actually do the right thing on this matter.

this actually is very much in line with what i was saying earlier...as long as the players are aware of the rules ahead of time then let them decide if they want to play in the tournament or not.

the poster was very aware of the situation.
the players who were NOT informed have a real reason to be upset.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM

Well-put bob - those who were informed have no reason to be upset. That's all it boils down to. As for how people were informed, I never even had any intention of playing in this tourney and still knew about the offer, although I can't say for sure where in the program I saw it, I know I didn't find it on the website (because I never visit it). So it was out there somehow.

And if anybody's interested, the current chip-leader has not only had the lead for about 4 hours, but started with the standard 1000. Just a side note.

-Edge
Old 04-17-2004, 10:56 PM

I will say that I think this is the highest +EV tournament in the history of online poker, if you start with the 2000 chips. I mean on top of the fact that the field is littered with idiots, you also start with 2x the chips! Its insane!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:00 PM

You act like you have a god-given right to be offered +EV tournaments by Party Poker. Grow up.

If they wanted to offer a tournament where people who had played .50/1 Omaha and 10/20 Razz exclusively got 100k extra chips, WTF cares? They aren't discriminating based on gender or race, they're legally within their rights to offer a tournament with whatever rules they want.

This is truly the dumbest post I've ever responded to here.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:03 PM

Edge - why are you so rude? The guy is bringing a valid point. There are no other major tournaments anywehere where players start with unequal chips. Party never did it for their $200 tournaments.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:09 PM

they could hold a tournament where all players who's name starts with Q, Z or G get 7943 chips and anyone who starts with L, R or S get 242 chips.

or they could run a tournament where you have to pay double the entry-fee if you played in at least one 9+1 satellite last august.

as long as they tell you ahead of time then it's up to you whether or not you want to enter that tourney.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:29 PM

they could hold a tournament where all players who's name starts with Q, Z or G get 7943 chips and anyone who starts with L, R or S get 242 chips.

I don't like the sound of that tourney.

Edit: On second thoughts, it sounds like most Kotz tourneys after 45 minutes.. deal me in.

Lori
Old 04-17-2004, 11:36 PM

MB -

Party Poker has the right to run their tournies however they want. They advertised this offer to a great number of players, and the original poster was merely upset because the extra chips offer would've been "inconvenient" to him because he plays PLO. I'm not being rude when I say its his choice to enter or not, and I'm not being rude when I say he shouldn't complain about it. I'm merely stating a fact. Just because it isn't going on anywhere else doesn't make it wrong by default.

-Edge