Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Check/fold AKs in the BB

The amount of times you will hit and win will offset that one extra bet you are putting in.

Good point. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Cautionary tale from MG in NJ..I limped with AK and it backfired

Change your name. I have a difficult time addressing you as just a loser. Kind of like JoshW and Gummy Worm.

This weekend I sat in an ok $6-$12 game with poster AviD. I limped under the gun with AK planning to limp re-raise. During the session I told AviD that I wanted to attempt a limp re-raise in this game because of the amount of loose late position raising that took place.

Nobody raised so the opportunity never presented itself for me to limp reraise. I lost to someone who played A 9 and I lost to a final board of A 9 6 2 6. Did not raising cost me the hand, maybe maybe not, however I limped for a reason.

If you had a reason fine, if you did not raise because you feared the limpers, then you need to reevaluate your logic. I limped to win a bigger pot if someone raised me, I did not limp to create a smaller pot.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:25 PM

It may have been weak/tight, it may have been wrong more times than right, but I lost the least amount I could lose on a hand that I had almost no chance of winning.

Why did you no have no chance of winning? If the flop comes AAK or all of your suit you will stand a damn good chance of winning.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:30 PM

I respectfully disagree. You have strength. Show it.

You also raise because you have a hand that will win more than it will lose.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the point that in general I should raise preflop w/AKs. But from just this one hand, this one moment in time, they did not profit from me. It may have been weak/tight, it may have been wrong more times than right, but I lost the least amount I could lose on a hand that I had almost no chance of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH...this is like saying "I folded red aces on the button after seven limpers, and the flop came 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]..."Gee, aren't I lucky!"
Old 03-29-2004, 09:06 PM

Why did you no have no chance of winning? If the flop comes AAK or all of your suit you will stand a damn good chance of winning.

When the flop came, I had virtually no chance of winning. I was speaking about that specific hand, not AKs in general.

BTW, got any suggestions for a new nickname? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
JustStupid?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Default Re: What about AKo?

I think its very important to raise AKo pf in this situation. When you flop an A or K, it often scares all the undercards away if they don't flop a pair or strong draw. You might as well get their money in before the flop and fold them out when you can.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 PM

I disagree. With AKs and that many limpers, you'd like to raise preflop to build the pot, With big suited connectors you want to tie other hands to the pot to maximize your profit when you hit.

No problem with the flop fold. When the SB bets into 6 opponents on a monochrome board and neither of your cards is of that suit, you have to figure you're drawing very, very thin.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:27 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You played it the 'perfect' way i'd like my opponents to play it.

Listen to MG.

b
Old 03-29-2004, 09:30 PM

Pudley read my mind.

As far as the number of limpers preflop, the more the better with AK whether suited or not.