Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Where should I post hands for The Experiment (tm) ?
General Theory 4 19.05%
Texas Hold'em (General) 11 52.38%
Mid-,High-Stakes 5 23.81%
The Zoo (Internet) 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: The Experiment (tm) - First Hand

[ QUOTE ]
oh by the way, who is this abdul? why should i give him respect?

[/ QUOTE ]

posev.com

You can search the archives here at 2+2 and search RGP to find the answer to your first question.

The second question is one you'll have to figure out yourself.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:32 PM

I always cap with hands that are strong HU when I have positional advantage. This includes 88-AA and AK and sometimes 55-77 (depending on opponents, but 88 is my cutoff where I would do it against almost anyone). I think that it makes it easier for me to play the hand post flop as I have shown a lot of strength, and when the opponent shows even more strength (like in this case) it is easier for me to fold. I think my opponent is much less likely to bluff when he sees that I believe I have the superior hand preflop (which I demonstrate by capping). I guess capping with the 88 is more of a personal style thing Cup.

If Nottom would have checked, I would have bet and then folded to his raise.

-Eugene
Old 12-03-2003, 04:42 PM

In hindsight, cold calling the raise with 88 is obviously wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. Does anyone fold 88 after MP open raises?
Old 12-03-2003, 04:46 PM

Default Eugene\'s Logic

[ QUOTE ]
I put my opponent on a king of some sort and I am forced fo fold here. I know most good opponent would bet into me here because they think they have the best hand at this time so they do not want me to see a free diamond. Unfortunately here I am forced ro put my opponent on an AK or KQ or (less likely) a bigger pocket pair than mine. If this was a good opponent I would doubt that he would try to steal the pot from me with an ace of diamonds. I think that he would not call (although he could checkraise me or bet into me with this hand to see where I am...) my bet on the flop with a hand like AdQ or Adj and even if he did, I would not think that he would think that he could scare me off with a bet here since I have played like my hand was very strong.

I would not be upset at myself with the way I played this hand.

Feel free to post my reasoning behind the way I played.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the PM Eugene sent me with his decision before his opponents hand was revealed.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:53 PM

Nope.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:47 PM

Does anyone fold 88 after MP open raises?

Not if MP is open-raising with hands like QJo I don't. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If he's opening with hands like that, I 3-bet with anything that looks reasonable.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:24 PM

I would sometimes do this if
1) The guy who open raised is very tight and only raises premium hands here.

2) If I have a strong feeling that the people who are left to act after me will call and I will not be able to single out the raiser.

I would rather fold than have the hand become a three or fourway one here with at least one player who definitely has a strong hand.

-Eugene
Old 12-03-2003, 06:28 PM

whoa.. i didn't think about that.. good analysis
Old 12-04-2003, 02:15 AM

Hi Schneids,
I agree with everything you said. My post was already long, and slightly off topic, so I didn't go into what I'd do after SHOWING one of these hands. As you suggested, I go back to a "proper" tightness. But the fact is, in tough games, you can go a long time without ever showing your hand. And until that time, you can take down some small pots. And when you do get "caught", you can adjust.
And to those of you who suggested that I'll find myself 3-bet by 88 often in this spot, you are also right-but it's irrelevant. I'll often be 3-bet by hands like 88 when I open from LMP, whether I play tight or not. As long as I show the ability to make a steal raise from there, players will try isolation re-raises. I play well after the flop, so I don't mind being heads up out of position against a hand about as good as mine once in a while. What's tricky for me in tough games is getting good action on your good hands. This strategy aids that, while hopefully picking up a couple of pots in the process.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:14 PM

I played my hand perfectly. Folded K6o UTG+1. Now everyone knows my secrets.

Pretty much Don't raise with QJo, it its suited, little better. 88 will raise, AJs should 3-bet. 88 should cap, but not every time,

if QJo open raises, 88 should 3-bet if he is going to play at all, colling is weak and doesn't give you any 411.

-AA