Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: witnessing at the table?!

I still find animal sacrifice a good way to achieve atonement. I must not have gotten the memo alerting us to stop.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:35 PM

'the only old testament stuff that applies is the stuff jesus didnt directly contradict.'

can you point out any instance where he makes such a contradiction? seriously.

ok sermon on the mount, turn the other cheek, maybe.

but seriously though.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:05 PM

God explicitly states in the old testament that he will never send someone to change the sabbath laws - only he and he alone will change them.

Jesus comes along, decides sabbath will be sunday.

Then he got a spanking and was sent to bed without dinner.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If somebody gave me a Bible, I'd open it to Psalm 137:9, and say that God clearly agrees with me, that it was right to beat my children.

Or perhaps Leviticus 27:3-7, to prove that men are worth more than women, old people are worth less than middle-aged, and young children are worth nearly nothing.

If warned about the potential for eternal damnation, I'd point to Job 7:9, which states that there is no afterlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

and anyone with a clue would laugh at you pulling verses from the Old Testament out of context to prove a point about biblical law when everybody knows that Christ in the New Testament came to fulfill the law so that we would be free from enslavement to it.

i just love when people start throwing Old Testament stuff at me to try and prove a point about the bible... [/sarcasm]
Old 11-10-2003, 12:37 PM

As far as the controversial stuff being Old Testament, Hebrews 9:13 states that animal sacrifice is a required rite, Luke 18:29-30 promises good things for men who leave their wives and children for the Lord and Matthew 5:17 states that Jesus does not revoke the laws of the Old testament.

Religion plays a vital part in many people's lives, mine included, but I believe the best ministry to live a good life, do good deeds and only minister to somebody if they ask for it. Giving a man a Bible is of little use if they have no beliefs, and can be insulting if they hold differing beliefs.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:25 PM

Matthew 5:17 states that Jesus does not revoke the laws of the Old testament.

True enough, but most of the NT "wisdom" that fundamentalists quote are not Jesus' words, but Paul's.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Bible exortations

I work as a scientific diver and one of our boats has a pilot who's fairly devout 7th Day Adventist; great guy though. Since I know him well, he's very occasionally brought The Book out on a trip. One day Nancy, our institution's Dive Safety Officer happened to be on the trip and he brought out his bible (I must have looked like a severe hangover case that day or something - that's when he usually mentions such stuff). Anyway, flicking through, I found by chance a quote that said exactly - "divers weights are an abomination."

Still don't know what it means at all, but it totally cracked me up at the time and I told him he'd better not show it to the DSO or she'll have to disband the whole department.

I think at the time he'd been telling me I shouldn't be eating lobster or anything scaleless from the sea.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Bible exortations

divers is an archaic word and in this context it means 'innacurate, false, misleading'. basically, it means that using doctored or fixed weights in business transaction to cheat your customers is a bad, dishonest thing to do, and God frowns upone it.

but the humor is still there. good one!
Old 11-11-2003, 10:52 PM

Default A parasite and a hypocrite

You say that your best friend waited until he had taken full advantage of the other guy's problem (getting all his chips first) and THEN proceeded to "help".

What is that, "tough love" ???

When he is not playing poker, does he also roll drunks in the alley and leave them a religious tract ?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:04 AM

Default lol good post! i was wondering when someone would say that n/m