Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: deep stacks, no free cards, do you really like your set?

[ QUOTE ]
I think we can rule out QQ pretty safely... but villain risked his ENTIRE stack of $322. That's a lot of money for anyone to risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always true. A higher limit player who wants to slum it can come to this game and just mess with people. $322 is nothing to a lot of players out there. I think we can't make that kind of analysis unless we watch the guy play. We need to know what kind of regard he has for his money.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, you can redraw to a boat, but you'll only catch it about 1/3 of the time. I'm waiting for a better opportunity to risk most of my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that there's at least a 20% chance here that hero's ahead (probably a lot more than this...). And this, combined with the 33% probability that he'll suckout on a made hand justifies the call.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we can rule out QQ pretty safely... but villain risked his ENTIRE stack of $322. That's a lot of money for anyone to risk.

[/ QUOTE ]
This line of thinking is not good for a no-limit player. He's risking some chips to win some other chips. Maybe its more chips than you would risk in his spot but so what? They're just chips. Get that money concept out of your head or you'll hit a wall in your development as a player.

I'm instantly calling this because its almost always TPTK or a pair+draw type hand trying to take it down right there and make everybody else pay to suck out. People love to overprotect one pair hands on boards like this. The worst possible scenario for OP is the higher set and he's ruled that out completely (or at least assigned it an extremely low probability) so we stick it in. If villain's doing this with the made straight, lucky for him there was one hand out there that could pay it off (and its not like he's got a set crushed anyway). He cannot possibly make money doing this regularly so make a note and move on.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM

Why are there so many people on this board who advocate folding sets on the flop? Especially middle set when there is essentially 0% chance that we are set under set?

I don't think I've ever seen Ghaz, Xorbie, TWP (et. all) suggest folding a set on the flop.

Stick it in.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Results in white: [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

<font color="white">He had KJo for the flopped straight. River brought a beautiful Q. </font>
Old 12-04-2005, 11:08 PM

Wow, he totally pwned you.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:26 PM

Results were surprising, I was expecting a lower strait who was protecting his hand, not the temporary nuts. J 8 would have been my guess.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is almost never a semi-bluff with the amount of money involved and the possibility of the made straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he doesn't think he's bluffing doesn't always mean that he holds the best hand. Usually people that do this don't want to have to deal with scare cards on the turn in a big pot. They'd rather gamble that they are ahead on the flop than play poker on the future betting rounds. People with the nuts rarely want to make you fold. They will gamble that their hand will hold up while they desperately try to extract.

[/ QUOTE ]

This echos my thoughts. I rarely see holdings here that want a call. They may have a good hand, but its not the nuts and they don't want draws.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:58 AM

Fold. Easy decision. K,J for sure.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Way to chime in after results have been posted =)
Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 AM

I'd guess its a straight (without a deeper read then simply he's very aggressve.) People love JK.

Obviously they're are a lot of bad players who do things that confound me, but I can't see most players 3 betting without the nuts on a highly coordinated board.