Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: some observations about the split

The 10/20 is a very beatable game...ask baronzeus for confirmation. If I can play 10/20, anybody can play 10/20.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice. I was about to post the same. If you beat 5/10 for 2BB/100 while 4-tabling you could make a 5/10 BR into a 10/20 BR in 2-3 weeks easily (with decent luck).

So anybody who beats the 5/10 soundly shouldnt have the BR problem (again, if they are not too unlucky).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone plays that many hands. I work full-time, and only squeeze in about an hour a day; and I don't have a monitor good enough to play 4 tables at a time. So even if I don't run bad -- which we all know is a crazy assumption -it could take me quite a while to get the proper br for 10/20.

But I just wanted to point out that there is a downside to the split, at least for some of us, even if it is temporary.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM

I was a >2 BB/100 winner at 5/10 and it took me MONTHS to build the bankroll to get to 10/20 because I am so busy with work. It didn't help that my first shot at 10/20 sent me back to 5/10 in flames.

BTW, I LOVE the forum split. The MHUSH forum is so high-quality right now.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the split is awesome.

no more sifting through .5/1 threads. no more weekly "need a preflop chart" threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I love this forum.

I will still reply once in a while to SSHUSH posts because of the fact I will probably hate that forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's be honest

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you are probably right. It's therapeutic to get frustration out somewhere [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 12:28 AM

"but some killjoy pointed out that I might get inaccurate advice, more appropriate for 10/20 than 5/10."

10/20 game that is playing like a 5/10. We will all get it, except for the Mods who are sofa king we todd did anyway.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Wynton,

I sympathize with your situation. Hopefully you wont feel as ostracized as you do now after things settle down a bit.

IMO, it is up to the veteran 3/6 and 5/10 HUSHers to make SSHUSH a high-content discussion and not just a 6max beginner forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, just so long as you add "and most importantly, the moderators".

I think SS HUSH is pretty ugly right now, and I think that it's a lot worse than pre-split because more of the better posters totally ignore it now. I'd hope that those people with enough passion to serve as mods are willing to step up and really work to help guide these new posters.

(I think attempting to implement at least a 5:1 reply to new post ratio would be fantastic).
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 AM

hey Dids,

I agree with you. I check out SSHUSH multiple times a day. MrWookie and StellarWind have just been made mods there too which will help as well.

But honestly, i'm not going to reply to Joe Schmoe's 0.50/1 preflop post - there's a whole community building there that is taking care of it wonderfully. I will, however, open up a post from a regular and see if I have any advice to offer.

Surf
Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
making hand posts is overrated, and thats the only area where anything has changed for 5/10 players

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Josh.

At 10/20 and above (and this pretty much starts at 5/10) the bottom line is the vast majority of your learning you have to do on your own.

Also, there is nothing stopping a 5/10 player or even a 1/2 player from participating in discussions at MHUSH. You can probably learn a lot from that as long as you're careful not to misapply it.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:47 AM

I have been at 5-10 since Feb. I have played 165k hands there. My first 80k hands were at a rate of .69BB/100. My last 80k hands are 1.03BB/100. I also 8 table so thats at least half the reason my winrate is nothing goregous.

I have the bankroll for 10-20, I am just scared of the swings. I have taken some shots at 10-20 (only 2-3 tabling) and at 3.84BB/100 over 9k hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Come December 1st, I am gonna make the jump full-time to 10-20 and just commence my naive 8 tabling ways and pray I dont get crushed.

The biggest reason for this is because of the forum split. I feel if I can learn more in a more signal less noise ratio, I'll be ok. The new SHUSH makes me want to jump ship from there and actually try and get better.

After reading SHUSH for the last couple of days, I feel out of place there. It makes me sad I am still where I am at in my career. I look forward to the dozens of flames my hand posts will garner as they will be played poorly. I hope you are all ready to take B00T's L00T.

I think honestly, I am looking for a reason to stay at 5-10. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:29 AM

I was a micro regular for quite some time, and that got me to the point where I could comfortably beat 2/4 and lower, as well as 1/2 6m. For some reason, I found it hard to leave and start in SSH or HUSH more as I moved up to 3/6, as it just felt like my 'home.'

I finally was able to make the move to HUSH as my main forum once I got a little further into 3/6 6m. I must say my game improved by leaps and bounds in the first month. I would revisit the micros from time to time, and just got bored because I could rarely find anything of worthwhile content.

I am finding that after the HUSH split, SSHUSH is becoming very similar to the micro forum in terms of content. A lot of .5/1 and 1/2 posts, and yes, your standard PF and stats questions. As a 5/10 player, I find this kind of too bad, as I don't think I can learn as much there as I could from HUSH. I also agree that MHUSH usually deals with posts a little beyond the scope of 5/10. I do feel somewhat out of place.

I think my best plan will just to be to try and lurk MHUSH mostly, just because there are so many good posters here. I think I learn the most from just reading the threads anyways - most of my hand posts just involve some slightly unusual line that felt good at the time and gets proven suboptimal.