Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Hand from \'How Good is your Limit Hold\'em\'

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if that came across as argumentative, or worse malicious, but I've noticed some people like to make fun of others in this forum, not that I interpreted your comment that way, but you never can tell. Incidentally, point well taken, table experience is obviously more beneficial than textbooks once one understands "the fundamentals."

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't take my comment the wrong way. I didn't mean "bother" as in it pisses me off. I think people some people do themselves a disservice by avoiding playing poker because they think they have a lot to learn. Bother was the wrong word to use I guess.

i.e. I was trying to be helpful.

edit: If your not beating the game, then I think you should look into playing for bonuses and/or rakeback if your not already. I was making money off poker, before I was ever beating the game, and it really takes the edge off the learning process.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're getting a little off track with my BS, so I'll just say one last thing about this and we can move on! I appreciate that, honestly, always looking for help! I find I play pretty well preflop, and mostly on the flop (but have a lot to learn obviously), but have trouble post-flop and seem to pay off others on the big streets. I don't know much about rakeback, and the only bonuses I ever play for are those reload ones at Party. Are there other bonuses that I'm missing?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:58 PM

Party's are best. But you should jump on any PokerStars bonuses that come out. Absolute and UB both have basically never ending bonuses and offer rakeback on top of it. Clearance rates aren't great, but if your just around a break-even player or so this will likely lead to you being able to pull in some money, build a bankroll, build confidence, etc etc. Crypto bonuses are good, but the site sucks. You can make about $30+/hr 4-tabling 1/2 though which is good.

check out www.bonuswhores.com if you want good detailed information on where to get bonuses. Any new sites you sign up for, try and get rakeback. Rakeback seems miniscule at lower limits, but adds a good 1bb/100 or so to your winrate.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party's are best. But you should jump on any PokerStars bonuses that come out. Absolute and UB both have basically never ending bonuses and offer rakeback on top of it. Clearance rates aren't great, but if your just around a break-even player or so this will likely lead to you being able to pull in some money, build a bankroll, build confidence, etc etc. Crypto bonuses are good, but the site sucks. You can make about $30+/hr 4-tabling 1/2 though which is good.

check out www.bonuswhores.com if you want good detailed information on where to get bonuses. Any new sites you sign up for, try and get rakeback. Rakeback seems miniscule at lower limits, but adds a good 1bb/100 or so to your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot for this. I've checked out bonuswhores a few times actually. How exactly does rakeback work? PM me if you like, thanks again.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what does the book say?

[/ QUOTE ]

And you guys are clearly right and I was clearly wrong on the C/R. Makes good sense. I put too much emphasis on the current size of the pot...

Is the consensus that we C/R a non heart turn, and c/c a heart turn? I do see some benefit in leading the turn and having BB blow the field away there, but who knows I could be just as wrong about that benefit as I was in my initial post.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:32 PM

Bet out and hope BB raises to isolate us. We don't want people drawing to [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush draws hanging around for the right price. We are ahead of BB in all likelihood.

A better Q could be out there and would likely let us know with a 3-bet on the flop.

I read this book, but don't recall this particular example.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet out and hope BB raises to isolate us. We don't want people drawing to [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush draws hanging around for the right price. We are ahead of BB in all likelihood.

A better Q could be out there and would likely let us know with a 3-bet on the flop.

I read this book, but don't recall this particular example.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - Flush draws will get the right price anyway, even if it gets 3-bet

2 - A bigger Q may wait until the turn to raise, trying to keep other players in who are drawing nearly dead.

3 - A 3-bet may come from a flush draw, raising for value and a possible free card; it may not be from another Q

4 - A c/r from your position is perfect if you have a flush draw, but it's also perfect if you have the Q. Notice that your opponents won't be able to put you on either hand specifically, thus you make your play "deceptive"

5 - Most people wait until the turn to c/r when they flop trips, so again you're being "deceptive"

6 - Your hand is very very strong here, and does not need protection. The one hand you're worried about (the flush draw) isn't going anywhere anyway.

Very easy checkraise.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I hate calling pre-flop in the SB with Q6o, even for half a bet. I definitely fold when it is raised back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part I was wondering about. I fold this all the time as well, bad move?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, this hand comes from a 15/30 games where the small blind is 2/3 structure. If the BB is rather passive PF, I'll take LOTS of hands in, including this one. Calling after the raise is another issue.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Protect your hand from what?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM

I read this book, and I thought it was excellent, but like many posters on this thread, I too disagreed with the author. I think checkraising this flop is the best strategy. Also of note, The author did not advocate calling with Q6 preflop, he said the correct strategy was to fold, but the specific player in the hand called. Another thing I find interesting is that the Author says to bet this flop with trips to "charge the flush draw". As Ed Miller pointed out, this concept makes no sense since the flush draw will always be making a profitable call on the flop. I think it is best to build this pot with our huge equity edge, and checkraising is the best way to accomplish this goal.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:22 PM

I say check with the intention of raising. The BB raised preflop and he's the type of player who only pays attention to his own cards. I hope he bets again and then I will checkraise him. Betting out here may garner a call from BB, but runs too much of a risk of folding everyone else. If BB bets, because he was the preflop raiser and the way he plays, there is a better chance someone else will call him, and we'll be able to trap them for a bet also, and an extra bet if they call the checkraise.