Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Josh Beckett to the Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not too long ago I remember Hanley being referred to as a crown jewel and whatnot, I am hearing a lot of revisionism by red sox fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hanley's star lost quite a bit of luster over the last few seasons as he struggled in the minors and had concerns raised about his work ethic. Also, the Sox are already (over)paying a shortstop for the next three years, and as noted have Pedroia waiting as well.

I think this is a fine trade. Beckett's peripherals are outstanding, and he's only 25 years old. The Sox dealt from a position of strength. I'm happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good deal for the sox, its just annoying when I hear all these fans change their tone from "We have a minor league prospect who will be a future first ballot hall of famer" to "yeah hes not that good we're really smart for trading him when we could get something! what a great move to get full market value".

also, picking up mike lowells bigass contract is a very NYY move. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Theo back in Boston

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very intriguing. Any substance to it or just Gammons intuition?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:47 PM

Beckett is now 25 and should be coming into his prime. He'll win 20 games if he's healthy. A great acquisition for the Sox. I don't know if Lowell is still an everyday player, but Fenway should help him.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Theo back in Boston

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very intriguing. Any substance to it or just Gammons intuition?

[/ QUOTE ]

John Henry has said very recently that, although Theo burned no bridges, there is no truth at all to this rumor, and that Theo will not be a surprise GM candidate. Who knows if it's true.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the sox attempt to flip Lowell to another club. I don't know where he might fit though...doubtful anyone will want him.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised to see the sox attempt to flip Lowell to another club. I don't know where he might fit though...doubtful anyone will want him.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one would want him at $9 M per, but if the Sox were to pick up a very large portion of that someone would take him. How much talent they'd get back is another question. I'd guess they'll keep him and see if the Monster has therapeutic qualities.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good deal for the sox, its just annoying when I hear all these fans change their tone from "We have a minor league prospect who will be a future first ballot hall of famer" to "yeah hes not that good we're really smart for trading him when we could get something! what a great move to get full market value".

also, picking up mike lowells bigass contract is a very NYY move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hanley was a top prospect, but his star has dimmed a bit recently. He is still the #3 prospect in our farm system according to Baseball America, but was #1. more importantly, the signing of Renteria left us without an immediate need for a shortstop. for the next 4 years, his value will be higher elsewhere than on the Red Sox.

The Lowell bit is a gamble. if he's not just a roid freak and can return to being a productive (if not spectacular) gold glove 3rd baseman, it's not that bad. if he continues to be a shell of his old self, well, it's only 2 more years!

all in all, a very good move for the Sox. I don't like giving up 2 very good prospects, but honestly, the best case for Sanchez (or Lester) is that they become as good as Beckett. and that is unlikely.

as everybody knows, #1 starters don't grow on trees, and giving up prospects to get one - and potentially a good position player as well - is well worth it. this is a deal that Cashman would do in a heartbeat, if the NYY prospects existed. it's also not a deal that a mid-market team would do, but that's another subject [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 02:23 PM

Hes got the guts of a burglar

Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hes got the teeth of a racehorse

[/ QUOTE ]

true.

I like how this is the a huge money team coming in and fleecing an expansion team. i'll never complain about it obviously, but lets get the score straight in the future.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hes got the teeth of a racehorse

[/ QUOTE ]

true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.

[ QUOTE ]

I like how this is the a huge money team coming in and fleecing an expansion team. i'll never complain about it obviously, but lets get the score straight in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Marlins are the ones who are so desperate to get rid of Lowell that they are actively shopping Beckett around. The Red Sox offered what they thought was the best package, I don't know how they are fleecing anyone.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how this is the a huge money team coming in and fleecing an expansion team. i

[/ QUOTE ]

no, this is the Marlins fleecing themselves. also, this wouldn't be possible if it wasnt for quality drafting the Sox have done (which has something to do with $$, but not everything)