Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Serious Rant about telling people about 2+2 (Long) but w/ content

I'll never type a word into the chat window, let alone to talk about poker or improving your game.

The fewer people that notice me, the better.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Serious Rant about telling people about 2+2 (Long) but w/ content IMO

No player chat. I don't know if someone on my table talks about 2p2 and I don't care.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Hachem's 7.5-million-winning hand of 7-3 offsuit

[/ QUOTE ]

a hand he played pretty well with a massive chip lead, don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
The hand itself, in context, was fine, capitalizing on Danneman's small preflop raise, then flopping a straight and capitalizing on Danneman having snagged top pair/OESD.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Serious Rant about telling people about 2+2 (Long) but w/ content IMO

For the most part, people who want to get better at poker will find 2+2, and for people who don't really care to get better, finding 2+2 won't matter much.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:12 AM

*grunching*

Standard, nice hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 AM

I agree that its stupid to try to keep this place a secret. If someone really wants to get better they would look for any poker book, and they'd find www.twoplustwo.com written on the backs of half of them.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i will never discuss 2+2, PT, PA or any strategys openly in a chat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither will I and I never have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not advocating for telling everyone. Some of you seem to have gotten that wrong. I was merely using it as a starting point for a motivational statement of hey you guys found 2+2 by whatever means so use it to the best of your ability. Stop worrying about fish who find this or any other poker education. If others are dumb enough to tell people about how to play at the tables that is a loss indeed but the ones who want to suceed will.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:49 AM

Most of the people who want to get better are playing NL anyway IMO, and haven't realized that limit is the way to go. That's where I started anyway.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-21-2005, 11:34 AM

I sympathize with the OP; however, I think he seeks to close the gate after the cow has left the pasture.

While the interest in poker continues to spread, sites like this one may not have an unduly negative impact on one's EV. At some point, however, the current almost geometric increase in the player base will slow. The easily understood and almost mechanical nature of opening play will be common knowledge; and with correct opening practice, the incidence of egregious errors in the later phases of the game will be both more rare, and more difficult to exploit.

This will seem improbable to the majority of posters here, as the large number of denials answering this listing attests. I have had direct experience in this procedure which I would like to share with you. In the late '80s, I began playing the horses, and utilized a methodology based upon FPS (feet per sec.) measurements compounded into ratings of various sorts. This method was new, very new, and while it had created a lot of stir among the betting coterie, it was protected by its relative difficulty, in relation to other analytical methodologies, and its dependence on computing, as the equations were sufficiently laborious to calculate, that without a programmatic assist, they just wouldnt be effective as a tool to handicap.

To make a long story short, I both knew computing methods, and was adept at implementing dbased modeling strategies, which was pivotal in this kind of handicapping, and made a LOT of money very quickly using the approach. The money I won, I in turn applied to football wagering. After making quite a nice nut, I quit playing either sport, believing that the strategy would be available to me if and when I needed to restore my exhausted funds.

I was wrong. The philosophy of pace, which was the methodology I had used, had penetrated the awareness of even the most obtuse horse player. Even the saddest lackwits now investigates splits to determine if speed ratings, a now public datum posted on every horse for every race he has ever run, were assisted or betrayed by the very slow or very fast fractions he had encountered in his race.

Value had eroded as a consequence. Where formerly I realized an ROI of +.85 (!), when I returned to the game, I was making +.10 on my invested capital. Margins for error had become much, much smaller, obviously.

And I can absolutely assure you, the same process, dessimination of knowledge, it's absorption into the wagering consciousness of even the most irresponsible player, and a consequent erosion of the expectation of the sharper player's game, will inevitably occur.

My advice to the readers here is direct: poker playing is NOT a stock market, where some underlying business props up the value in stock prices, which can expand with seemingly infinite limit. Once the proper methodology of poker playing becomes part of the psyche of the ordinary player, the profitability will plunge, and the game will cease to offer the windfall it now does. Make your money NOW; expect to see your edge dissipate altogether, if you're mostly untalented, and be severely impacted if you're blessed with more than ordinary abilities. Because it WILL happen. It's happened in financial markets, in chess, in backgammon, in horse and sports betting. And it's a measure of willfulness, I think, to deny that it will happen in poker playing.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The easily understood and almost mechanical nature of opening play will be common knowledge; and with correct opening practice, the incidence of egregious errors in the later phases of the game will be both more rare, and more difficult to exploit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct preflop play has nothing to do with correct postflop play. Your average player is never going to be a tight aggressive and preflop charts only teach you so much. You'll never convince them to read the rest of the book.

A solid player knows how to adapt and can make a lot of money from "mechanical" players.