Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Time to Give Iran its Just Desserts

He revealed that one trigger used in a recent Iraqi bombing was a three- way device, combining a command wire, a radio signal and an infra-red beam " a technique perfected by the IRA.
LOL.......just as I thought you have no evidence.
The news stories I posted were on SHAPE CHARGES being manufactured in Iran. Shape charges are unique in that they can penetrate armor. I think it is safe to say you do not have a military background. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just because IRA designed bombs have been used in Iraq does not invalidate the news stories I posted. All you have done is given evidence that IRA designed bombs are being used by insurgents as well. Nice try..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 AM

Default FYP

[ QUOTE ]
For the last 50 years (something not denied even by Israel itself), Israel abides by the wishes of Washington ONLY when the abiding is convenient for Israel regardless of how important Washington considers its wishes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Er, yes I did.
Er, no you did not.
You STILL have not addressed the news stories (PLURAL) that discuss Iran providing SHAPE CHARGES to the insurgents. All you have done was provided evidence that IRA designed detonation systems have been used in Iraq. The coalition soldiers being killed in Iraq are being killed by shape charges which are able to penetrate the armored Humvees. The links I provided show that there is strong evidence that Iran is giving these shape charges to the insurgents.

Since Iran is engaging in war-like acts against US troops, the USA has justification to use military force on them. End-of-Story. But I don't think Bush43 has the balls to risk $80 per barrel oil so I think Iran is safe for the moment.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: preemptive strike on Iran

[ QUOTE ]
We can get hurt badly but not destroyed by a pre-emptive attack from a non-major nuclear power, with plenty weapons left to annihilate them in return. But Israel can't allow itself to suffer even one such attack since they are so small, even though they would still have a submarine launched nuclear retaliatory response left available. That's the crucial difference. They can get wiped out, we can't, by a small nuclear state.

[/ QUOTE ]

i aggree; This is an important distinction, critical in any justification for an isreali pre-epmtive strike.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He revealed that one trigger used in a recent Iraqi bombing was a three- way device, combining a command wire, a radio signal and an infra-red beam " a technique perfected by the IRA.
LOL.......just as I thought you have no evidence.
The news stories I posted were on SHAPE CHARGES being manufactured in Iran. Shape charges are unique in that they can penetrate armor. I think it is safe to say you do not have a military background. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just because IRA designed bombs have been used in Iraq does not invalidate the news stories I posted. All you have done is given evidence that IRA designed bombs are being used by insurgents as well. Nice try..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The CSM story referred to allegations of Iranian-sourced shape-charges and detonation mechanisms. The IoS story clearly shows that the detonation mechanisms which were claimed to be coming from Iran did not. It proves that half of their argument about Iran was completely wrong, which should at least make one highly dubious as to the veracity of the second aspect of the story, at least until some actual concrete evidence for this has been presented.

Nontheless I'd say it is certainly conceivable that Iran at some level is supporting some armed Shi'i groups in the south that may have been involved in attacks on British soldiers there. But the entire logic of your argument that Iran is backing the Sunni insurgency is absurd. Ledeen in one of the stories you linked to argues that the Iranians are desperate for the US to leave. Clearly that is ridiculous. Firstly, it clearly suits Iran for the US military to stay in Iraq, as it limits its ability to attack Iran. An Iranian backed movement, the SCIRI, is in coalition government in Iraq and running major ministries including the Interior Ministry, and has no desire to have to face the Sunni insurgents by itself. More importantly, Iran-backed SCIRI is fighting (and torturing) the very insurgents that Iran is supposed to be supplying with these bombs. Unless you believe Iran is fighting itself in Iraq, the allegations make no sense.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:47 AM

"the news stories (PLURAL) "

Two of the four links you gave are the same story by NBC news. It provides zero evidence that a shipment was even intercepted, never mind proven to have been sent by the Iranian government, other than anonymous briefings by the same people that told us they knew where Iraq's WMDs were. A third is about a bombing that turned out to not be a shape charge, but refers back to the charges made in the first two links and admits details of so-called interceptions are vague and that "The coalition official here says there is no evidence to suggest that the government in Tehran is facilitating the smuggling of shape charges into Iraq.. " The fourth of them refers to Iranian backing for small Shi'i groups in the British-controlled south, whereas you ahve been arguing for Iranian support for the main Sunni insurgency. If you want your charges to be taken seriously, you need to do a bit better than this to substantiate an argument that makes no logical sense ie Iran is arming groups that are fighting its Iraqi proxies.