Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Movie Review: Elephant

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How could a movie about stupid teenage punks getting shot suck? And that gay scene pissed me off! Bring on the chicks next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

while everyone is entitled to there own OOT opinion on life. Your response is the reason why movies like elephant dont become huge successes and movie's like Daddy Daycare go number 1 weak after weak...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm positive a response I made on the movie elephant on an internet forum years after the movie was created is not the reason it became a huge failure. I'm pretty sure you meant to say it was a train of thought like mine that makes it fail? Do I sound like I like Daddy Daycare? How would someone with my train of thought like Daddy Daycare. It sounds like your just spewing horseshit because
A) You're a stupid teenager.
or
B) You're gay.

Also who spells week, weak? Honestly.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think it's a beautifully understated examination of what happened at Columbine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there anything about the actual comlumbine kids being gay, (or atleast having a sexual relationship). Either way, I don't believe that it was dealt with thuroughly enough in the film. But, if the columbine kids didn't have a sexual relationship, then I think the scene in the movie was cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was nothing I read about in the actual incident that suggested the kids were gay. This is pure Van Sant fantasy/wish fullfilment, and it's one of the reasons I say I don't like what people tend to do to real happenings like this. Not only do they get up on a soap box, but they make highly dubious "improvements" or artistic riffs on it that just don't do the subject any favors at all.

The new film about Mark David Chapman coming out, the murderer of John Lennon, that gives him Lindsay Lohan as a cute girlfriend, is another example. Sometimes Hollywood really overestimates itself severely, which is fine when you're talking about a Bruce Willis movie or something. But it seems stupid and contrary to the spirit of real events, and really serious ones, to "spruce them up" with an "artistic insight" that has nothing to do with the event in question and is really all about artistic egotism and self-indulgence.

Really, most subjects deserve better than they tend to get from Hollywood.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Was there anything about the actual comlumbine kids being gay

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but why should there be? Since Elephant isn't about the Columbine kids, why can't Van Sant make a movie inspired by Columbine wherein there are actual differences between the two stories? Furthermore, who said these guys in Elephant are even gay? They have one kiss in the shower once. Have you ever been at a party where two chicks make out with each other, then go home and sleep with their boyfriends (or whichever frat boy date-raped them that night)? Are those girls now lesbians for life?

The kiss is more about an emotional bond for a moment and an activity than it is about sexual orientation.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, which is why I'm glad Elephant is not a Hollywood film. It's totally indie, made and financed by people who wouldn't be let in the door of any Hollywood studio with an idea like this. Van Sant spent his time in Hollywood making crap like Finding Forrester. Elephant is as far from Hollywood as movies get.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crap like Finding Forrester.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM

it seemed like when i made this thread 7 months ago everyone hated the movie.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Was there anything about the actual comlumbine kids being gay

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but why should there be? Since Elephant isn't about the Columbine kids, why can't Van Sant make a movie inspired by Columbine wherein there are actual differences between the two stories? Furthermore, who said these guys in Elephant are even gay? They have one kiss in the shower once. Have you ever been at a party where two chicks make out with each other, then go home and sleep with their boyfriends (or whichever frat boy date-raped them that night)? Are those girls now lesbians for life?

The kiss is more about an emotional bond for a moment and an activity than it is about sexual orientation.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, which is why I'm glad Elephant is not a Hollywood film. It's totally indie, made and financed by people who wouldn't be let in the door of any Hollywood studio with an idea like this. Van Sant spent his time in Hollywood making crap like Finding Forrester. Elephant is as far from Hollywood as movies get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're kidding yourself a bit here. Or maybe a lot.

Obviously the movie is meant to address Columbine. You can't reward it for its daring or insight or whatever into the thing and then brush off criticisms by saying that it really wasn't about it after all. That's just schizoid.

As far as the gay thing, I guess you just think that boys kissing each other in the shower is a lot less gay than I do.

Which is all well and good. But my guess is the teenage boys kissing scene had a lot more to do with Van Sant's personal collection of private thrills than it did with the subject at hand.

And again, I think Columbine deserves better. These artistic reveries on real life tragedies strike me as generally hopelessly masturbatory even without teenage gay kissing shower scenes.

I realize you have a strong emotional investment in this film and we'll never agree unless I complete capitulate to seeing things your way, which isn't going to happen. For what it's worth, I like the few reviews I've seen you post, but in this case I'll just have to say you haven't sold me on either the film or your appreciation for it. Don't feel it personally or take it as an insult, because I think Van Sant is very talented and I have no beef with you whatsoever. I just feel that this film sounds very much like the typical exploitive stumble that films like this usually are.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

while everyone is entitled to there own OOT opinion on life. Your response is the reason why movies like elephant dont become huge successes and movie's like Daddy Daycare go number 1 weak after weak...

[/ QUOTE ]

...Also who spells week, weak? Honestly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it did sorta fit with the point he was making. It was either a pleasing rhetorical device, or a brilliant mistake.