Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Whats wrong with this statement?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, no. A majority of the population believes in Christianity. That doesn't mean that the story of loaves and fishes gets to be brought up during physics lessons on the conservation of matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if man ever invented a replicator like in those Star Trek shows we should ban the teaching of how it works becuase its application too closely resembles Christian theology?

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Your logic chips aren't working propery if you think that your statement follows from mine.

[ QUOTE ]
ID as an ideal doesn't need Christianity or any other religion to exist. It was pointed out in another thread that scientist are trying to create life from scratch. If and when they achieve it they will prove ID as a viable process by which life is created. I suspect ID will be proven before scientist can duplicate the process by which life originated on this planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ID "as an ideal" needs, by definition, some unknown first mover. And this "first mover" is, of course, the whole point.

[ QUOTE ]
However, people like you are so fearful of Christianity that you feel the need to suppress anything associated with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

"People like me", huh? I suspect I attend my Christian church far more regularly than you, my well-named friend.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a problem with students at some point being told that the majority of the US population believes in this idea and then being taught (briefly) about what the idea is or referred to some book if they're interested. Hopefully a book that explains what ID theory is rather than actually advocating it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
However, the place for that is certainly is not the science class. Science is there to teach adn recommend readings about scientific theories, not religious "explanations."

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to look at the entire curriculum to determine the best place to provide this instruction. It would also be necessary to consider the text you are referring too. In any event, the statement was maybe 30 seconds long. Certainly not long enough to ruin these kids scientific education as some on here would have you believe.

Stu
Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry meech, your comments are really worthy of a rubuttal.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

I spose there is no arguing with the "science be damned, teach the people what they believe in science class" position.

If you can support teaching an alternate periodic table of elements because people believe it, then -- what can I say?

To me, science is more scientific. Leave the hocus pocus elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, the statement was maybe 30 seconds long. Certainly not long enough to ruin these kids scientific education as some on here would have you believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

No but it's the principle. Opening up science class to one non-scientific recommendations of one non-scientific "explanation", besides being silly given that its not science, is going to have all sorts of groups demanding that their non-scientific viewpoints get an airing too. Let science class stick to scientific theories.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What? Your logic chips aren't working propery if you think that your statement follows from mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I was just trying to follow your flawed thinking.

Teaching the creation story from Genesis in a science class would be as inappropriate as teaching the story of loaves and fishes from the bible. You err in thinking ID is purely a religious concept or belief.

ID is the assertion that certain features of the universe and of living things exhibit the characteristics of a product resulting from an intelligent cause or agent. You assume that intelligent cause or agent is a diety who must be worshipped.

So when a man creates life from scratch are you going to bow down and worship him?

Stu
Old 11-11-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You err in thinking ID is purely a religious concept or belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the proponents of ID. 'nuff said.

ID=Creationism repackaged to skirt church/state. 100%.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No but it's the principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I find most disturbing is certain people want to suppress the teaching of ID in public schools at all cost. These people have their own agenda that has nothing to do with achieving a high standard of education for the children of this nation.

If the local school board wants ID in the curriculum, I'd like to see it included as a matter of principle.

Stu
Old 11-11-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I find most disturbing is certain people want to mandate the teaching of ID in public schools at all cost. These people have their own agenda that has nothing to do with achieving a high standard of education for the children of this nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Does it matter at all that the overwhelming supermajority of scientists think that these school boards are a joke?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I find most disturbing is certain people want to suppress the teaching of ID in public schools at all cost. These people have their own agenda that has nothing to do with achieving a high standard of education for the children of this nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What I find most disturbing is certain people want to mandate the teaching of ID in public schools at all cost. These people have their own agenda that has nothing to do with achieving a high standard of education for the children of this nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the beauties of a Soviet-style education industry!

Boy am I glad we don't provide and distribute food the way we do "education."

"What I find most disturbing is certain people want to supress the inclusion of pickles and onions on public burgers at all cost. These people have their own agenda that has nothing to do with achieving a high standard of taste for the people of this nation."

"What I find most disturbing is certain people want to mandate the inclusion of pickles and onions on public burgers at all cost. These people have their own agenda that has nothing to do with achieving a high standard of taste for the people of this nation."

Meanwhile a burger costs $23.50 and you have to be bussed across the county to get it.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Teaching the creation story from Genesis in a science class would be as inappropriate as teaching the story of loaves and fishes from the bible. You err in thinking ID is purely a religious concept or belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You assume that intelligent cause or agent is a diety who must be worshipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I err? I assume? Please. Everyone can plainly see what is going on here.

It is the ID proponents themselves that posit a diety as the "intelligent designer". After all, if they did not, what would be the point? Teaching kids that life on earth might have been designed by aliens? Maybe schools should also screen "Stargate" when teaching about the origin of the Egyptian pyramids.

[ QUOTE ]

So when a man creates life from scratch are you going to bow down and worship him?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your side's assumption, not mine.