Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: HOLDEM or FOLDEM

I think its a little trickier than that lloyd. you have to consider the likelihood of finishing in each spot, not just your share of the prize pool i think. im not disputing the result, I just think the method is overly simplistic.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're guaranteed $1200. The total prize pool remaining is $19,700. Let's say you're 50/50 versus his range although I think you might be even a little ahead.

If you fold, you're left with 214,000 out of 2,500,000. So you've got 8.56% of the chips for a $EV of $1,686.

If you call. You'll lose 50% of the time and have a $EV of $0. The other 50% you'll win and have 814,000 chips. That's 32.5% of the total for a $EV of $6,414. So the $EV of calling is $3,207 clearly ahead of that of folding.

In this case, it was such a no brainer because of the pot odds that I knew it would be cEV and $EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

atually just changed my mind about this. You didn't figure out $EV.. you just changed the units for cEV. for $EV you need the probability to finish in each spot. or to estimate, take a guess at what you're worth w/ 800k stack, or w/ 200k stack.

edit: by changing units i mean, all you did was insetad of MLG having 800k chips, he had $3000. But that doesnt translate into actually figuring out what he's worth.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:02 PM

No, you don't. The way I calculated $EV is a fairly well established (albeit not pefect) method. What you are discussing is ICM which also has its problems. I try and stick with methods that I can quickly calculate (or at least approximate) in my head so that they actually become useful at the table.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its a little trickier than that lloyd. you have to consider the likelihood of finishing in each spot, not just your share of the prize pool i think. im not disputing the result, I just think the method is overly simplistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. chip count method misses the horror of busting when there are two tiny stacks, and also overvalues a really big stack. but nobody has a fancy icm program for more than 3 payouts, right?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 PM

yeah, I call.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you don't. The way I calculated $EV is a fairly well established (albeit not pefect) method. What you are discussing is ICM which also has its problems. I try and stick with methods that I can quickly calculate (or at least approximate) in my head so that they actually become useful at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you really didnt calculate anything about $EV. You just showed chip EV w/ differnet units

Using what you did, cEV and EV will always be the same thing.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:05 PM

The only mental modification I would make is that if the small stacks are SO short stacked that there is very little chance for them to move up in the money. In that case, I would consider just folding pre-flop. If that's not the case, I believe my calculations are close enough.

I understand it's a little simplistic but I think it's accurate enough.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Did I just read that right? You, MLG, made two MINraises? Hmmmmm
Old 11-09-2005, 05:27 PM

I think by far the most likely outcome is that you have 5 outs, so I fold. (But while I know you said not to say anything yet, I push the flop. Let's talk about the minraise when you post the results, I think that's the more important part of this hand.)
Old 11-09-2005, 05:30 PM

You give no possibility to overcards, 55, or some other type of draw? That's really the key to the hand. Is he semi-bluffing here or not.