Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Move to $1/2 level ?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything wrong with just looking at Party Poker and sorting the tables by average pot size and getting on the waiting list for the 3 highest?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Unless you like to wait a long time to play and then join a table full of TAGS.

Usually theres at least 10 people on the waiting list. Bad players make these tables good. Also, bad players usually bust out the fastest. Everytime a bad player busts out, he's usually replaced by a TAG. By the time you get to the head of the wait list theres like 1 mediocre semi-fish playing about 30% of his hands.

You'll find much better tables using other methods than this.

Along the same lines. Don't you hate when you find an awesome table and over the course of 30 minutes or so, the fish leave and soon enough you're sitting at a table full of TAGS? I HATE that.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 PM

The 1/2 full ring is definately tough. 20% vip and a quite aggressive. I am with webster. The 2/4 is easier. I think this is mainly because of all bonuswhores who play 1/2.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I moved back up to 1/2 full I searched around to get as much good advice as I could. Tiltaholic posted a fantastic thread on moving up to 1/2, (which you never followed up on!! lol), and I found a lot of other good advice as well.
Subsequently, when I made the move I kicked butt. The advice that helped me the most, without doubt, I mean nothing else even came close, was seat selection.

Specifically, you want the TAG's on your left so you can constantly steal their blinds and the button, and you want the loose callers on your right so you know you are going to get the odds to play your hand even if it is raised behind you.
I open 4 tables and datamine them for half an hour. I identufy the good ones and put myself on the waiting list. If a seat comes up that doesn't conform to the above criteria, (ie TAG on your right etc), I reject the seat and go back on the waiting list. This sounds like you could be waiting hours for a table. After putting myself on the waiting list the most I have ever had to wait using this method is ten minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that not everyone is playing on Party and on basically every other site out there your method will indeed involve hours of waiting.

Plus I question the skill of any player who relies on datamining this much to get a good win rate. And again how many sites other then Party allow datamining?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything wrong with just looking at Party Poker and sorting the tables by average pot size and getting on the waiting list for the 3 highest?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Unless you like to wait a long time to play and then join a table full of TAGS.

Usually theres at least 10 people on the waiting list. Bad players make these tables good. Also, bad players usually bust out the fastest. Everytime a bad player busts out, he's usually replaced by a TAG. By the time you get to the head of the wait list theres like 1 mediocre semi-fish playing about 30% of his hands.

Along the same lines. Don't you hate when you find an awesome table and over the course of 30 minutes or so, the fish leave and soon enough you're sitting at a table full of TAGS? I HATE that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So my observations about finding loose passive tables only to have them turn tight are correct - the fish are replaced by sharks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I really HATE that.

I've only played about 1K hands at $1/2, but it seems to me that seat selection is a tough thing to do. Turnover really seems to be a problem. After 40 hands there may only be 2 or 3 players that I've played more than 20 hands against. It seems like a lot of trouble jumping tables every 25 or 30 hands, not to mention the cost of posting blinds. Also, I've decided that I want to be able to beat whatever type of game I find - if that's possible. Sure changing games might help the bankroll, but to become a better player I think it helps to play better players.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead, learn to play HUSH, sit at an empty table, and let the fish come to you. You'll be surprised at how good this works.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You do realize that not everyone is playing on Party and on basically every other site out there your method will indeed involve hours of waiting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I say party in my post? I play on several sites, I can do this on most. Some sites that I can do it on, (like absolute) I don't as there's only a few tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus I question the skill of any player who relies on datamining this much to get a good win rate. And again how many sites other then Party allow datamining?

[/ QUOTE ]

30 minutes of datamining is nothing. I know players who datamine 24/7. If you have pokertracker and don't take the time to do this, then you're wasting a valuable resource. The other way to do it of course is Wookies method. This works fine for some, (me included), but I don't recommend it for someone who is having problems beating 1/2.

By the way, I consider seat selection much more important than table selection.
As for questioning my skill, my win rate at 1/2 was over 6BB/100 hands. Question away.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I consider seat selection much more important than table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
As for questioning my skill, my win rate at 1/2 was over 6BB/100 hands. Question away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, you gotta just ignore that [censored].
Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, you gotta just ignore that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, Dan. I don't even know why I answered that.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sample size.... I had the same rate at 2/4 over 10k hands. You are almost certainly beating the game - probably for a good rate - but 6BB/100 is unlikely to last over 30-50k hands.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Where did I say party in my post? I play on several sites, I can do this on most. Some sites that I can do it on, (like absolute) I don't as there's only a few tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was implied becuase alot of the other sites dont have a combination of ability to datamine and a plethora of 1/2 tables that you have the ability to just wait around for a specific seat.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how does this disprove my argument that people who use datamining as a crutch to support large win rates might not be as skilled at poker as their numbers suggest?

You got a big penis, drive a nice sports car, have a swimsuit model girlfriend, and a job that pays 200k+ a year too I bet.