Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Flopped da\' nuts - how to get value?

I know it's a riskier approach, but given the stack sizes I think it's justified. If you take the lead to try to get his stack in, you're going to have to either push the flop, or do something like raise it to $100, then 1/2 pot both turn and river to get him all-in. If this guy is the rock TWP says he is, and you take either of these lines, I think he's going to get verrrry suspicious.

There's a percentage chance he calls a flop push; we don't know what that is. There's also a percentage chance that, if you play on, turn and river cards kill you; I agree that 50% by the river is a good estimate (I got 35% by the river just for board pairing). So you can argue about the chances either way.

But what tips it for me is that we basically KNOW villain's cards, so we should be able to add value by outplaying him.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But what tips it for me is that we basically KNOW villain's cards, so we should be able to add value by outplaying him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outplaying him can mean getting him to stick it in on the flop as a 2:1 dog
Old 11-02-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it, the more I start liking this. You can almost hear him thinking "no way he does that with flopped nuts/top set"

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. down boy.

his thought process. "no way would he do this with a flopped straight or a set! he must have a flush draw... er... a um straight... draw... or er uh A high!!! yes he must have A high!"

seriously, pushing sucks. i also hate reraisng because it screams nuts but given these pitiful bets (you bet 4/9 pot and villain raises uh even less? wtf?).

bet more on the flop. what would you bet with a J planning on taking it down/folding to a raise, youŽd bet like 15 right? so bet that. then he can make a real raise. betting 8 then waking up is like holding a flashing neon sign that says nuts above your head.

and i think it dpeends on the guy here, but a set isn't that hard to fold if you 3 bet the flop then push the turn hard. but that comes down to a read. either way you should use the installation plan because usually they'll "call to pair the board" then when the pot is laying trhem 3 to 1 after the river and the board is still unpaired they call anyway.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it, the more I start liking this. You can almost hear him thinking "no way he does that with flopped nuts/top set"

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. down boy.

his thought process. "no way would he do this with a flopped straight or a set! he must have a flush draw... er... a um straight... draw... or er uh A high!!! yes he must have A high!"

seriously, pushing sucks. i also hate reraisng because it screams nuts but given these pitiful bets (you bet 4/9 pot and villain raises uh even less? wtf?).

bet more on the flop. what would you bet with a J planning on taking it down/folding to a raise, youŽd bet like 15 right? so bet that. then he can make a real raise. betting 8 then waking up is like holding a flashing neon sign that says nuts above your head.

and i think it dpeends on the guy here, but a set isn't that hard to fold if you 3 bet the flop then push the turn hard. but that comes down to a read. either way you should use the installation plan because usually they'll "call to pair the board" then when the pot is laying trhem 3 to 1 after the river and the board is still unpaired they call anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree basically 100% with this post (and a lot of others have said it, too.) Betting $8 was the most retarded amount to bet. Now if I 3-bet it just SCREAMS nuts. I should have just bet pot. Then he could make a bigger raise, and I could either push it in or wait to c/r turn a-i or lead turn or whatever. But I TOTALLY screwed myself with my moronic flop bet. Anyways, I 3-bet to 80 or something and he goes '9T? That's what you're telling me?' and I said nothing and then he folded. I don't know what he folded, obviously. Most likely AJ or something like that. Maybe bottom two. Yes, he's weak. But my flop bet really sucked.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM

oh one more thing. T9s is pretty. raise preflop.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:59 AM

I dont know about you lot, but Im always wary of the man that bets weak, and then either calls or 3-bets a raise.

Raise pf :-).
Bet pot on the flop, and hope Mr. Rocko hit his hand.

Failing that, I pot the flop, and if rocko calls/raises then I can call his raise and check/raise the turn, or call the raise and lead the turn. Both are good teams.

I like pot much better than weak lead. Weak lead often lets em off cheap when you subsequently show interest by calling a raise/3-betting a raise.

Given how its played, call and bet 2/3rds pot on the turn.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:00 AM

I bet $15-18 on the flop. Now when he raises you I would certainly make a reraise of something about the size of the pot.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I often do. This time I didn't. I have the BN here 90% of the time without raising, which was one of the considerations behind not raising.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I often do. This time I didn't. I have the BN here 90% of the time without raising, which was one of the considerations behind not raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

i recommend doing it the times when youŽre going to flop the nuts.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I like pushing best. It is a massive overbet that looks highly unusual. If villain has a set or two pair, he probably scratches his head for 29 seconds, then calls.

Put him into a tough decision for all his chips and he'll talk himself into handing them over often enough to make this move at least as profitable as working him over with pot bets or check raises.

Facing a massive overbet, he'll oten say to himself, "9T? If he had 9T, why bet so much? No way he has that..."