Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: 400nl AK line

"What do you think, then? Do you call and re-evaluate? If you raise, do you call a 3-bet all in? If you called and he open pushes any turn, what do you do?"

I like a call here. It seems like a way ahead or way behind situation. I don't worry about offering my opponent improper odds on a draw because he's already done that for himself (I also doubt a solid player makes this move). The fact that the game is 6 handed broadens his hand range. I think his most likely holdings here are AQ (maybe AJs), 99, or 66. There are 16 different ways of being dealt AQ or 6 different ways of being dealt each pocket pair. Therefore you are a 16-12 favorite against his most likely holdings. Let's add in AJs. We'll say that it's about half as likely that he holds AJs here so we'll only add 8. We now become a 24-12 (2-1 favorite) over his likely holdings. It is too early to give up. I think he plays all of these holdings the same on the flop unless faced with a raise. I call any reasonable bet on the turn. If he bets the pot or larger I would have a tough decision but I would probably still call.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:53 PM

call, then raise/bet a blank turn?

blank=no [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5, or T
Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems like a way ahead or way behind situation.
I think his most likely holdings here are AQ (maybe AJs), 99, or 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to add flush draws to your hand range. Because of this I disagree that it is a way ahead/way behind and therefore it is hard to apply your advice.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:10 PM

Villain is a solid player. He is aggressive but do solid-aggressive players really lead out against 3 players for 3/4 the pot with a flush draw, especially with an ace on the board? Surely if he didn't hold an ace he would expect one of his opponents to have one. Ax is a VERY common holding in a small stakes game. Some players will even call a raise w/ A2 out of position because they are complete donkeys. Nonetheless, if you think that we have to add a flush draw into the mix then you are only making my argument stronger. If you add flush draws into the mix here how do you even think about folding here? Sounds like pure stupidity to me. No offense but your arguments don't seem to fit together.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a solid player. He is aggressive but do solid-aggressive players really lead out against 3 players for 3/4 the pot with a flush draw, especially with an ace on the board?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? The limpers will have a hard time calling w/o a strong hand since the PFR is left to act.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely if he didn't hold an ace he would expect one of his opponents to have one. Ax is a VERY common holding in a small stakes game. Some players will even call a raise w/ A2 out of position because they are complete donkeys.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have mentioned it if any of the players at the table were that big donkeys. Most of the ace-wonder kids don't make it to $400nl(or starting there) without going broke .
Old 10-31-2005, 06:36 PM

So you're saying that you would bet 3/4 the pot on a flush draw here? I think it's a horrible play. If he were in position and betting the draw then I think the play makes a little more sense. However, out of position I think this is a horrible play. It is too likely that someone holds an ace whether you are playing with donkeys or not. People on this forumn seem to think that they can get away with anything by playing overly aggressive. Once again, I think this is a HORRIBLE PLAY! You have a good point aout the donkeys though.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm raising here, I think you have to protect your hand in this spot. If villian flopped 2pair or a set, is he really leading for this much into the PFR? Most players who flop hands this big check into PFRs. He's gotta know you're betting this flop even if you don't have an Ace. Some tricky players might lead into you with a bigger hand, but I'm going with the majority of the time a bigger hand is checking.

His lead looks to me like a weaker A or possibly a flush/straight draw. Your raise might knock him off a weaker A, but you'll be in a tough spot if you just call and a club hits the turn and he leads out at you again. Plus, you're giving him an open shot at turning his kicker.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also make it 25 preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ALWAYS recommend raising a bb or two more preflop? 5xbb raise pf is more than enough with ak-o.

I'm getting really sick of reading "I raise 1bb more pf".

Anyone else, or am I all alone here?

-fop

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's important what amount you raise preflop, even if you (or any other player) have to follow it of course.

I will continue to add 3 or 4 words once in a while how much I make it preflop if I think its of some importance. If you don't think it's important, just ignore these suggestions from me. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian flopped 2pair or a set, is he really leading for this much into the PFR?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's a good agressive player then he will absolutely lead in this spot.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also make it 25 preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ALWAYS recommend raising a bb or two more preflop? 5xbb raise pf is more than enough with ak-o.

I'm getting really sick of reading "I raise 1bb more pf".

Anyone else, or am I all alone here?

-fop

[/ QUOTE ]
it actually makes all the difference

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think its of some importance to, or?