Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: God Created Us \"In His Image\"?

I'm probably going to come off sounding like a complete ass right now, but hopefully you will know that I'm just making an observation.

I think it is a very good thing that those in the armed services have faith in God. I'm all for Chaplains in the Army making sure their men and women believe in God, and know that there is a Heaven. Any bit of hope that those in the battle fields have in an afterlife, is a good thing, I think. These men and women fight and give their lives in order to improve or maintain our way of lives. I would never ever get into a theological debate with someone in the armed services. I have a very good friend in the Army -- he's a Chaplain, actually. I would never argue with him about the existence of God. Anyway, hopefully this wasn't too cold hearted, I didn't mean it to be. I am very thankful to those that serve our country in the armed forces.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably going to come off sounding like a complete ass right now, but hopefully you will know that I'm just making an observation.

I think it is a very good thing that those in the armed services have faith in God. I'm all for Chaplains in the Army making sure their men and women believe in God, and know that there is a Heaven. Any bit of hope that those in the battle fields have in an afterlife, is a good thing, I think. These men and women fight and give their lives in order to improve or maintain our way of lives. I would never ever get into a theological debate with someone in the armed services. I have a very good friend in the Army -- he's a Chaplain, actually. I would never argue with him about the existence of God. Anyway, hopefully this wasn't too cold hearted, I didn't mean it to be. I am very thankful to those that serve our country in the armed forces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate it, thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 AM

"I have no qualms with people believing whatever they want to believe, as long as they aren't forcing those beliefs on others or using their beliefs to hurt people."

For me not to have a problem requires also that they admit that objective evidence points away from their belief.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:18 AM

Kipbond[ QUOTE ]
I would never ever get into a theological debate with someone in the armed services. ... I have no qualms with people believing whatever they want to believe, as long as they aren't forcing those beliefs on others or using their beliefs to hurt people.

[/ QUOTE ]

DS -[ QUOTE ]
For me not to have a problem requires also that they admit that objective evidence points away from their belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kip,I hope I can express this as respectfully as you have. My general view is that there are no 'special' people, so I argue against "Secretary Day" or "Tribute to Teachers" etc. I make an exception for the 'life on the line' roles such as police, fire and armed service. However, I'd tend to take the "don't ask, don't tell' approach when it comes to their creeds. I don't think I'd cut them any slack if that approach fails.

I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if the armed constable told me he was doing this role because he'd be rewarded with 17 virgins if something goes wrong. Similarly if he said he wan't to keep the neighbourhood safe from 'those people'. IOW, intent matters, I guess, perhaps related to DS's statement.

If I understand DS, he seems to want some evidence of available rationality ( in case it is called for in the execution of their duty??)

luckyme,
If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well then be doubly scared, as I am a graduate of the Naval Academy. My journey to faith was a little different than Bigdaddy's but his post was pretty spot on as far as spirituality being a big plus in tough situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two posts to the same point ( their faith/belief is an assett to survival in the war they find themselves in ) are, perhaps, specific examples of evolutionary pressure to select genes that result in a tendencey to hold such beliefs.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:09 AM

"Well then be doubly scared, as I am a graduate of the Naval Academy. My journey to faith was a little different than Bigdaddy's but his post was pretty spot on as far as spirituality being a big plus in tough situations."

And if the situation requires more courage than the ability analyze things, I probably agree. Fine for lieutenants and ensigns. But what about Generals and Admirals? What about, ahem, the Commander In Chief?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 AM

Having slept on it, I say no. Both beliefs are held in the teeth of strong objective evidence to the contrary, and in that they are roughly equivalent. However, one need not commit mass murder in order to eat Jesus.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Well then be doubly scared, as I am a graduate of the Naval Academy. My journey to faith was a little different than Bigdaddy's but his post was pretty spot on as far as spirituality being a big plus in tough situations."

And if the situation requires more courage than the ability analyze things, I probably agree. Fine for lieutenants and ensigns. But what about Generals and Admirals? What about, ahem, the Commander In Chief?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your estimation of the percentage of situations that require "more courage than ability to analyze things" is way off. Furthermore, the decisions that a Captain or a Lieutenant have to make often dont allow for much time and need to be made quickly while taking into account a myriad of dynamic factors.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI I was standing next to a Brigidier General at Mass today.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:12 AM

"FYI I was standing next to a Brigidier General at Mass today"

Did you think this statement contradicted my post? If so it helps prove my point. In any case if this General actually believes that the specifics of the Churches beliefs is truly reasonable (and I'd bet even money he doesn't) then it IS scary for our country.