Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: veganism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look to see if that Vegan wears leather shoes or belts or has a leather wallet and ask them how they justify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument doesn't hold any water. This is like calling someone who donates to charity a hypocrite because they didn't donate twice as much. People should do what they feel comfortable with to try and make the world better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it holds plenty of water in that they don't use products that come from animals including stuff like milk that doesn't kill the animal. Yet they have no problem wearing their designer shoes made from the skin of a dead animal.

How does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you think people that have a million dollars and donate $500 to the Hurricane Relief Effort are hypocrites? Clearly they could donate more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that I really don't understand this pararell at all. If they use ANY animal products they are not a vegan, and shouldn't claim to be only by choosing to pick out the aspects of veganism that they want to follow while disregarding the aspects they don't.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
could it be that maybe we aren't meant to eat meat??

[/ QUOTE ]

Our teeth say otherwise.

(and so does my stomach)

[/ QUOTE ]

As do our brains. Meat is the reason we aren't monkeys. You don't want to devolve, do you?

essentially, its the 'sanctity of life' argument. All life is sacred - ergo don't eat meat. There are lots of flaws with this. One.. plants are alive... bacterium are alive.. Two, who's to say life is sacred? - it's an assumption not based on anything else.

If they don't agree in the sanctity of life argument, and is more of a harm argument - then ask them if they would object to free range eggs. Or eating honey (vegans, technically, are against it). Veganism is different from vegetarianism in this regard.

Your teeth have evolved to have morals (for chewing plants) and insicors (spelling / name??) (for cutting meat)

Use your teeth as they were meant to be used.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 PM

my teeth have no morals when it comes to delicious animal flesh cooked medium rare.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The argument is that having to eat baby food and creamed corn on Thanksgiving makes you look like a world class faggot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegans who eat like that on Thanksgiving are idiots, but they aren't much stupider than the people who think the above is how most vegans actually eat.

There are plenty of relatively good vegan foods to eat on such a day.

If anything, istewart's post just reinforces the idea that most people have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to veganism.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look to see if that Vegan wears leather shoes or belts or has a leather wallet and ask them how they justify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this will be much of an issue. I have yet to meet a vegan who purchases things made from leather, and I used to be involved in animal rights so I have met lots of them. Some do however continue to wear leather garments they might have bought before becoming vegans.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming that this vegan like the countless other vegans I have encountered want to push their beliefs of a "cruelty free lifstyle" onto others while not totally enbracing the actual meaning of what they are preaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound really stupid, so probably you have really stupid friends and maybe they are vegan, that is why they act that way. all vegeterian and vegan people i know - and there are a lot, probably some people you know are vegeterian and you don't even realize it because they are so low key about it - are a lot more reasonable than you and never preach their beliefs.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks gross to me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]