Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: ultimate fighter on spike

you ever see this guy fight? ive always wondered how he would fare.

http://jkd.inat.org/

he is unbelievably fast.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:02 PM

first of all i know that a few of the fighters have already somewhat put their head in the UFC door before this show, but obviously they haven't made it.

my question is this: do you think that maybe hughes wants them to bust their ass as hard as he did, coming from nothing and having to work ground up instead of winning a couple key fights on a reality show? maybe he wants them to truly earn it instead of enter the UFC realm as a media fighter and then get their d*ck handed to them by belfourt and others. just something to think about.

plus, i like his style. the ring isn't easy and you can tell that what he makes them do isn't anything he hasn't done a million times, i would respect that as a fighter. he is turning them into nails and it may rub people the wrong way, but well uh [censored] em'.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fighting is usually ok. I'm not really interested in all their little hissy fits. Some fights have just downright sucked. Regular UFC/Pride fights are much better, imo.

Check this out for a huge list of fights you can watch for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Couture-Belfort fight was pretty good. The fights that do not have English commentaries are much less interesting to me.

How the hell many Gracies are there? There was a fighter that I remember watching several years ago that very much outclassed his opposition. Am I right to assume that this person's name was Royce Gracie?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He'd get beat up pretty bad.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Couture-Belfort fight was pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couture and Belfort are badasses. Vitor's losing it a little though.

[ QUOTE ]
The fights that do not have English commentaries are much less interesting to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind too much. I just turn the sound down and listen to music.

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell many Gracies are there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots. Here's a family tree. Several brothers+various remarriages = LOTS of Gracies.

[ QUOTE ]
There was a fighter that I remember watching several years ago that very much outclassed his opposition. Am I right to assume that this person's name was Royce Gracie?

[/ QUOTE ]
Define "several years ago". Back in the early 90's when UFC began, Royce dominated. He won the first two, had to quit the third due to fatigue, and won the fourth. And this was when you fought 3-4 people in one night with few rules. But with the introduction of time limits and other stuff, Rorion Gracie (Royce's brother and co-founder of UFC) sold his shares and Royce stopped fighting in UFC.

Nowadays, the game is different. Back in the early UFC, Royce had suprise on his side. Now almost any MMA fighter worth anything trains in groundfighting. Royce has had a few matches in Pride, but I wouldn't say he's done spectacularly. He was beaten pretty handily by Kazushi Sakuraba (one of my favorite fighters) and was manhandled by Hidehiko Yoshida in their first match (early ref stoppage in that fight).

Can you tell I'm a bit of a mma fan? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://jkd.inat.org/

he is unbelievably fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on who he's fighting. A seasoned mma fighter would waste him.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a fighter that I remember watching several years ago that very much outclassed his opposition. Am I right to assume that this person's name was Royce Gracie?

[/ QUOTE ]
Define "several years ago". Back in the early 90's when UFC began, Royce dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

93, 94, or 95, on pay-per-view at a friend's house. They interupted otherwise profitable ***** games. I was in Iowa City at the time. A couple of the Iowa college wrestlers were trying to get into it, so there was also some advertisements for events in the area. I am under the impression that the UFC was near it's start at the time, so the description of it being the 4 tournaments or so sounds right. If I recall correctly, there was some controversy surrounding use of part of the uniform (gee? gi? ghee? hell if I know how to spell it) offensively. I notice that nobody is currently wearing these uniforms, so I gather that they are no longer legal.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell I'm a bit of a mma fan? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I'm asking you these things. I could try to google it, but you'll provide with the information with less effort on my part while you get to talk about something that you enjoy. Win-win.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
93, 94, or 95, on pay-per-view at a friend's house.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you were right then, it was Royce Gracie.

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, there was some controversy surrounding use of part of the uniform (gee? gi? ghee? hell if I know how to spell it) offensively.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's "gi". I don't know of any controversy surrounding it (I would have been about 8-9 when UFC started). It's done in Judo all the time and there weren't many rules back then anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I notice that nobody is currently wearing these uniforms, so I gather that they are no longer legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
While you're right that most people don't wear it, I don't believe it's because it's illegal. The reason a lot of people don't wear it is because it's easier for the other guy to grab onto you. Without the gi, you'd be very slippery from sweating so it's be harder to maintain a good grip. I think Royce has stopped wearing the gi jacket in mma, because he realizes that he's lost the element of surprise with it and it's just going to put him at a disadvantage. In the Sakuraba fight, Royce's gi was used against him a couple times, usually humorously so as Saku is a bit of a practical joker.

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I'm asking you these things. I could try to google it, but you'll provide with the information with less effort on my part while you get to talk about something that you enjoy. Win-win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hear hear. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 12:33 AM

Unbelievable show. Joe Stevenson's a beast. No clue how Luke hung in there with him. They both have a ton of heart.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 AM

Damn, Sanchez was a good fighter on TUF, but he has become a monster.