Derek Jeter (NYY) 5 18.52%
Torii Hunter (MIN) 6 22.22%
Hideki Matsui (NYY) 4 14.81%
Scott Posednik (CWS) 3 11.11%
Don Mattingly (RET) 6 22.22%
other (specify) 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Is America ready for Gay Cowboys on the Big Screen?

gay cowboys in Montana? were the sheep not available?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gay cowboys in Montana? were the sheep not available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, is this a Ray Zee bio pic? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your reaction is unjustified. People have honest reactions to what they like in a relationship. If I were to post a picture of an ugly woman and we got the standard gross-out reactions, that would not mean that those posters are bigoted against ugly girls. Ugly girls just don't fit into their personal preference. The same is true of those people you describe in the theatre.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right that those are really the same thing. The thing is I'm not sure I'm comfortable/happy/whatever with how our current society as a whole treats either of those groups of people. Would I have had the same reaction if it were ugly chicks instead? Probably not. But I just do not like how our society as a whole puts on a nice face and everything when these people are around, and then loves to laugh at the very thought of them when they're not.

Also, I should've used past-tense in all my wording. It made me upset at the time for whatever reason. I probably couldn't convey exactly why, but I would guess it has a lot to do with the religion on the two girls sitting next to me. They are "Christian" girls and that probably had a lot to do with the emotions their reactions made me feel.

You are definitely right that personal preference is nothing that I should be angered or whatever though.

GoT
Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM

I'm planning on seeing it just for the possibility that someone might have gone to it thinking it was just another horse-riding movie.
OR that somone might have thought they were going to this:
Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who wouldn't want to see a film about gay cowboys eating pudding???

[/ QUOTE ]

what are the odds that south park studios put this movie out as a joke?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it's a good movie, I don't care what the subject matter is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree Dominic, and the subject matter is definitely not the reason I have no inclination to see this film. However, based on the previews it seems like this movie is going to feature more gay cuddling/making out/sex than I personally care to see. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive when it comes to homosexual PDA but that's me.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:39 PM

My wife and I were in a theater in Times Square when a preview for this came on. The liberal-as-hell New York crowd was noticeably disgusted by the premise of the movie (as were we). If this movie can't survive a preview in New York City, there is no way it can play in most parts of the US.

When Republicans talk about a "secret Hollywood cabal" or the "conspiracy of the liberal media", this movie should feature front and center. Subtly pro-homosexual movies like American Beauty may slide under the radar, but this one has "liberal indoctrination" written all over it.

Finally, although Im reluctant to say so, the gay rights movement should realize that if they want to get their agenda moved forward, they should learn that lipstick lesbians are a much more palatable form of homosexuality in America. If they can succeed in mainstreaming lipstick lesbianism, the male homosexuals can bootstrap onto those gains.

This will never happen, however. Gays will continue to model their political movements after the ACT-UP model of militant, in-your-face male homosexuality, and they will consequently continue to be marginalized. And Democrats will continue to support gay causes, and thus concede the "family values" debate ad infinitum.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:48 PM

I'm not going to see this film because it looks like it has a lot of talking in it. A lot of talking, and thinking, some crying, and wishing, and yearning for a love that will never be, and a whole bunch of other crap that I think takes away from valuable shooting-people-blowing-things-up-car-racing-wise-cracking-vampire-gangster scene time. I wouldn't see the same movie if it had a man and a woman as a lead, or two lipstick lesbians, or two bull dykes, a bull dyke and a man, a bull and a man, or any other combinations of characters, because it looks like the kind of movie that bores the crap outta me. Them being gay doesn't really figure into it for me.

*some portions of this rant were inspired by comedian Richard Jeni. -ed.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I'll go see it, although I hate cowboys in general and these guys are really not my type...but I'll see it because it's interesting and different. The title would have been better as "Bareback Mountain" tho. Seriously...Brokeback? WTF is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bareback refers to screwing without a condom. This would be a bad title for a gay movie.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:51 PM

You really got me pegged there, Tribesman. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Swede