Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: \"Rocky Balboa\" (Rocky VI is being made)

[ QUOTE ]

Biggest wet-blanket movie wife ever. If Rocky went to the store for eggs, she'd be like, "You know the car will break down, or you'll have no money, or the eggs will break, and then what? Then what? Then we're alone with nothing, no eggs. You can't win!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she was a highly authentic wife, actually.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

At least Adrian is apparently dead in this one, and we won't have her screaming at him about how he can't fight anymore. At least that's what I gather from the story above. Talia Shire will only be around to play her in flashbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a disappointment. Isn't the highlight of every Rocky since the first the part where Adrian says, "You can't win!"

Biggest wet-blanket movie wife ever. If Rocky went to the store for eggs, she'd be like, "You know the car will break down, or you'll have no money, or the eggs will break, and then what? Then what? Then we're alone with nothing, no eggs. You can't win!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's why she's dead and why there was such a long gap after Rocky V. He murdered her and has been in prison.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

At least Adrian is apparently dead in this one, and we won't have her screaming at him about how he can't fight anymore. At least that's what I gather from the story above. Talia Shire will only be around to play her in flashbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a disappointment. Isn't the highlight of every Rocky since the first the part where Adrian says, "You can't win!"

[/ QUOTE ]
True. But the "glass is full" view is that after said speech, kick ass training montage is imminent. It is a symbiotic relationship.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's why she's dead and why there was such a long gap after Rocky V. He murdered her and has been in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake you are terrible...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Roy Jones Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]
thats good work. i am feeling better about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty damn sweet they are getting Jones to do this. I cant wait now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That link says it's just "talks," so let's not get our hopes up yet. Roy would be a great choice though. He's so well known to boxing fans it will help give the movie some credibility, and he's the right size.

Stupid trivia time: Heavyweight fighter Ken Norton Sr. was originally set to play Apollo Creed in Rocky, but it was eventually decided that they needed a smaller actor, as Norton, as well as any man built like a heavyweight made Stallone look even smaller than Stallone was, about 5-10, 160-170 lbs if I remember correctly. Jones is not a true heavyweight, but he's still big enough to look sufficiently menacing to Balboa, while not completely dwarfing Stallone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Stallone described as either 5'6 or 5'7, but mostly 5'6.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM

Mickey: You know, kid, I know how you feel about this fight that's comin' up, because I was young once too. And I tell you somethin': Well, if you wasn't here, I probably wouldn't be alive today. The fact that you're here and doin' as well as you're doin' gives me, what do you call it, a "motivization" huh, to stay alive? 'Cause I think that people die sometimes when they don't wanna live no more.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I don't see how you can say Weathers isn't well known now, after the blockbuster hit "Action Jackson."

[/ QUOTE ]

He said Weathers wasn't known before Rocky. Action Jackson came much later.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:59 PM

Ehh. I'm thinking they could either go the Million Dollar Baby way or the Cinderella Man way. The problem is that both of those ideas have been done, and done really well, very recently. Rocky's popularity isn't going to be enough to make us just forget about that. If they manage to make something completely new out of this premise, I'll be surprised, but it's what they'll have to do to avoid being an echo. I'd like to see this movie work though, because my heart can't take another series killing sequel.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jones was in talks to do this three years ago...don't know if that's still the plan or not.

The good news is - he's got no boxing career left, so he's available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was part of the contract that if Antonio Tarver won the third match, he would get the picture, too.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I don't see how you can say Weathers isn't well known now, after the blockbuster hit "Action Jackson."

[/ QUOTE ]

He said Weathers wasn't known before Rocky. Action Jackson came much later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this got a serious (?) reply...but he said:

[ QUOTE ]
Carl Weathers wasn't all that well known when he did the original, and he's still not all that well known now

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit that I am I did research on the height issue. You're right, he's more like 5'7"; he's listed on IMDB as 5'10", and on movie-times.com as 5'9" but I found this article on short actors who disguise their height and it puts him at 5'7". I didn't know Pacino was only 5'6"...

"Short" story

I also didn't know that Stallone's trademark "sneer" is caused by a screw-up with forceps during his birth which paralyzed the bottom left part of his face, leaving him with the sneer and slurred speech.