Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Aggression

Bump...[ QUOTE ]

So if the flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villain has at best a gutshot if he has NP. If he is willing to call a checkraise with TJ, more power to him. OTOH, If I happen to have TJ/9T/9J on this flop, I'm definitely check raising all day. Keep in mind, even if he calls with every single pair he has and some A high hands, he is still folding roughly 50% of the time assuming he c-bets with high frequency (I will not pull this against a villain who doesn't, for obvious reasons... in that situation I lead out a ton of flops).

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your plan if he calls your flop c/r, and the turn is a blank? Do you plan on shutting down?

In my homegame, I've found that my c-bets and c/r-es (with inside draws and other such semi-bluffs) were being called down. Whats my usual plan against a LAG who calls my c-bets/check/raises on a blank turn?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:44 PM

Ok. So if he's more on the loose, calling side than the aggro side, I really don't bother at all. If I have seen villain call these bets with A high, I obviously need to adjust. If I check/raise and turn bricks, I'm done with the hand. Nice thing is villain will check behind with anything worse than AQ often, so I will get a free look at the river as well.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. So if he's more on the loose, calling side than the aggro side, I really don't bother at all. If I have seen villain call these bets with A high, I obviously need to adjust. If I check/raise and turn bricks, I'm done with the hand. Nice thing is villain will check behind with anything worse than AQ often, so I will get a free look at the river as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Key example of me against a lag last night. I have been C-betting quite often (and getting caught) and put him on a resteal (or at least a hand that can't call a 3 bet).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($53.30)
Hero ($25.20)
Button ($21)
SB ($48.73)
BB ($29.50)
UTG ($17.42)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2.

Turn: ($6.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, Button calls $10 (All-In).

River: ($44.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $44.35

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Jh (straight, ace high).
Button has 9c Kc (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins $44.35. </font>

Normally of course this is chip spewing, but I was very confindent in my read, as I realized I very obviously didn't have much of a hand (in his eyes playing on the 2nd level) but of course expected a fold.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 PM

I don't think you have much FE after his mini-raise.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you have much FE after his mini-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't (and didn't) think he has a callable hand.

Edit: Thoughts as this hand played out: C bet flop, he calls. I think DOH but still have outs. I consider the turn a bluffing out, but when villain minraises I figure himm for picking off that bluff. So I think fold or all in, consider metagame factors (particularly quality of hands I have had to show down) and push it.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM

Just tuned in here -

I think you're smart saying [ QUOTE ]
my aggression doesn't really kick in until they have shown weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats important. Aggression is good, aggression for aggression sake is bad, aggression facing strength is very bad.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aggression facing strength is very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know about this. Particularly deep. How many times have you made 'big' laydowns because 'he just can't make that move without the nuts'. I think making big naked ace of trump bluffs on non-paired boards and such can be really great when deep against good opponents.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know about this. Particularly deep. How many times have you made 'big' laydowns because 'he just can't make that move without the nuts'. I think making big naked ace of trump bluffs on non-paired boards and such can be really great when deep against good opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that often
Old 10-17-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that often

[/ QUOTE ]
Damnit, I was going to say 'not you particularly since you're a calling station' but I forgot. I suck.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that often

[/ QUOTE ]
Damnit, I was going to say 'not you particularly since you're a calling station' but I forgot. I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

you shouldve