Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: A3s 300/600 sorta weird line

fwiw, i often do this with KQ. on the turn, i hold the bet/raise button. they fold pretty quickly.

a pocket pair might get suspicious and just check call down after the flop check, but at 300-600ish i would think they know better.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's just fine.

coolade is solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really - He seems very good at supershort games (he has run over me a few times), but with 5 or more he seems overagressive to me. He makes some stupid plays against the wrong players.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Coolade is a World Series of Poker bracelet holder and a CardPlayer columnist."

is it roy west? i think it must be roy west. "cmon in and have some fried chicken y'all...we're gonna talk about a 50cent-$1 stud hand!"

"Oh, and if you insist on translating £150/300 into some dollar-stakes, it's much closer to $250/500 than $300/600."

oh well in that case you should bet the flop bk. that changes everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coolade is the biggest whiner in that game and I have a hard time reconciliating this with Roy's writing style.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 PM

People seem to be giving two different answers to the "obvious" meaning of this play. One theory is that you want to minimize your investment. The other theory is that you are representing a monster--potentially to steal it, I guess. I like the play with the second theory, but I wouldn't expect it to fly with sophisticated high limit players (ie, it's about a 15-30 level of "cleverness" which you'd be faking)--he should just call down. Also, since you actually have the ace, it would be a bit of a waste.

so, okay, it's a cheap showdown--you don't think you can skip a big bet.