Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: First interview complete, this one with James282!

[ QUOTE ]
This will look 100X better if you reformat it such that it's not just a transcript of an aim conversation.

I'd suggest emails rather than AIM, simply so that both parties can ask and answer longer, better thought out questions.

It's interesting in a "hey, this is James" way, but there's not a lot of meat to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I came in here to say. No one wants to read a chatlog. Make it an interview.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:08 PM

-I am open to suggestions, by email, do you mean me email him the questions and he type the responses? Then maybe me respond to his emails with a couple more questions based off of his initial responses, and then maybe a 3rd if there are still good topics.

-For aim I was also thinking about having them give me a signal like putting * after a sentence if he is not going to elaborate any more on it, so we both don't have to sit their awkwardly me being patient, and him knowing that he isn't gonna say anymore about it.

-on a side note, you can often get a truer look into someone when they have to respond faster and can't say everything articulately or politically correct!

tell me what you think
Old 10-12-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will look 100X better if you reformat it such that it's not just a transcript of an aim conversation.

I'd suggest emails rather than AIM, simply so that both parties can ask and answer longer, better thought out questions.

It's interesting in a "hey, this is James" way, but there's not a lot of meat to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I came in here to say. No one wants to read a chatlog. Make it an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes definently I stopped reading half way through because of this.

Great idea, good effort,make the changes and keep it up.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Well, it also would have been nice if James would have not been playing poker while trying to give an interview.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it also would have been nice if James would have not been playing poker while trying to give an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would have been nice, especially since he was paying me what my hourly earn would have been if I wasn't playing.
-James
Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. i was hoping to see an interview, not a chat log.

EDIT: i guess about a million people have said this already. that's because they know what they're talking about.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM

The "tell them nothing" motto has served me quite well for a number of years.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 AM

How about audio interviews. Digitally record a phone interview and see how the sound quality comes out. If it's decent, throw a link to a downloadable mp3 file. You'll get a lot more content per time spent. Also, I don't know if anyone else will agree, but I run across so many poker related things that I'd like to read on a consistant basis, that I'm truly getting sick of reading it all. But I have too. I can't help it. A nice relaxing listen would be good for a change.

If this were to work out, I think it would become very popular around here.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would have been nice, especially since he was paying me what my hourly earn would have been if I wasn't playing.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak, James.

You talk with friends on the phone or watch a game or a movie or all sorts of things you want to do and don't get paid your poker rate, right?

All Sponger is saying is that these interviews would be better if they were with someone who actually cared enough to carve out 30 minutes or an hour to do a real interview. I've done plenty of interviews at various points in my business career, and I've never once been answering emails, writing proposals, or doing sales calls while giving the interview.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:48 AM

haha sweet, i was also there watchin my Wolverines lose...and it was almost as sad as being at the Minnesota game..