Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Default I Hate Ann Coulter

She's a mean-spirited pathological liar. Like her hero, Joe McCarthy, she has no decency. On her website yesterday, she accused the president of being a dictator, eferred to him boozing it up in the 1980s, and suggested that defending the president's latest SCOTUS nomination was equivalent to defending him had he nominated his dog.

Here's a typical Coulterism:

"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty. We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors."

Perhaps it's all show business for Coulter, I don't know. People howl because she's cruel and crass.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter is a Stupid Bitch

[ QUOTE ]
Not to some people like Sheetwise. I fail to see what's at all amusing about her. There is not counterpart to her on the Left side. No one on this side wants to kill a bunch of you, or calls you collectively traitors, or teaches that no one should ever be nice to any of you (yes, she says this). What the hell is amusing about that? Maybe a pissed off teenager who tortures animals would find that amusing, but I refuse to believe any large group of people do.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think that Ann Coulter is the Rights Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Neither are very helpful or relevent to normal discussion.

-Gryph
Old 10-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter is a Stupid Bitch

[ QUOTE ]
No that is absolutely not as extreme as the things Ann Coulter says. The comparison is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say as extreme. I asked if it was "extreme enough for you...." What I left off was "...for you to condemn." So, is it ok that Franken called Horowitz, a man who is clearly not, a racist? The comparison is not ridiculous. Coulter and Franken are non value added talking heads who exist to pander to their respective audiences, sling mud, and make money. They are the same class of people, your subjective interpretation of their extremism aside.

[ QUOTE ]
First, methods are not aside. It's people like Anne Coulter who, for instance inspired the Rwanda genocide. That's not amusing. That's not a laughing matter. Ann Coulter has welcomed a renewed Civil War, because apparently your side has all the men and guns. How is that, and her comments about killing more people to intimidate the filthy liberals any different than the radio leadup to the Rwanda genocide. The differences are few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I dont know much about the radio leadup to Rwanda. Ill do some reading on it. But your comparison is pretty extreme, perhaps I should get disgusted with your methods, no? The fact is that when the social conditions are right, hyperbole of the sort Coulter uses could potentially lead to some sort of acting out of those scenarios she outlines. Those conditions, outside of a few lunatics here and there, dont exist in this country.

[ QUOTE ]
If as you two are saying, it's only the disgust others find with her that you find amusing, then you're nothing more than trolls. You may as well go get you jollies by flashing pictures of dead babies at people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstand my point. Its the way you and others let her manipulate you into such a self righteous frenzy. You think she doesnt use those words purposely to generate a response? The worst thing to do with a person like that is to respond in that fashion. This is basic human psychology. I mean I teach my kids that for God's sake, havent you figured it out by now?

[ QUOTE ]
The closest equivalent to the Ann Coulter / Hannity / Limbaugh crowd that you could find on the left is the blogosphere (which absolutely dwarfs the right-wing blogosphere) and they are much more information-needy than shock-value needy.

[/ QUOTE ]

An irrelevant aside combined with a neat justification of those that you consider to be the closest equivalent to the Coulter crowd. Im waiting to hear your condemnation of them Grey. And you are right, some of the "extreme" things I have read on the Web have been on left wing blogs and Democratic Underground. But somehow I manage not to take them personally. I sleep just fine at night knowing those people are out there that really think I am a Nazi by virtue of being a Republican supporter.

[ QUOTE ]
And why did you put the missing "a" in my post back in, and in bold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like being pedantic. Ain't the internet neat? Feel free to reply in kind. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Bombs Away!

[ QUOTE ]
By the same reasoning, the American Right fears and is threatened by Michael Moore. Agreed, then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm being 100% honest when I say that Michael Moore neither strikes fear into me, nor do I feel threatened by him.

Wheeeee, the internet is fun!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the same reasoning, the American Right fears and is threatened by Michael Moore. Agreed, then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call D...

I don't think hitting an emotional nerve is any indication of "hitting" near the mark. I think it has to do with a fear and disbelief that someone can think that way. Like Michael Moore, I can't believe that someone can think the way that he does and do the things that he does. Ann is the same way for the left.

-Gryph
Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm being 100% honest when I say that Michael Moore neither strikes fear into me, nor do I feel threatened by him.

Wheeeee, the internet is fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, and I agree. I don't think the right has much to fear from Michael Moore either.

In which case, can we throw out the "left is fearful and threatened by Coulter" as utter nonsense?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In which case, can we throw out the "left is fearful and threatened by Coulter" as utter nonsense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no problems here, Felix is on his own with that one. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Perhaps for some on the American Right but DEFINITELY to a LESSER extent.
FOR EXAMPLE; I know talk radio LOVES IT when Michael Moore, Barbarra Streisand, Martin Sheen, etc... speak out. When Rush Limbaugh reports their comments, the theme is FESTIVE, HAPPY, and GLEEFUL that they are speaking out. One of the secrets to the success of conservative talk radio is the words and actions of the left ARE THE ENTERTAINMENT. If anything, the FESTIVE RESPONSES show that conservatives are much more secure in their beliefs than the TYPICAL (not all) leftie. George Cloony has figured out the responses from people like Michael Moore have hurt the left and recently made suggestions that Hollywood actors be less visible in the coming elections.

I doubt that Air America has the same festive reaction when Ann Coulter makes comments.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: I Hate Ann Coulter

I thought her criticism of GWB was one of her better articles. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:55 PM

I don't hear those festive, happy, gleeful responses you do. I hear vindictiveness and mean-spirited criticism. Maybe from an entertainment standpoint, they're happy, because criticizing Clooney or Streisand or Speilberg probably means bigger ratings than talking about Harry Reid or Joe Biden.

I agree with you, though, that the success of Limbaugh and Hannity and others on the right comes from their understanding of the value of entertainment and from putting on good shows. Whenever I turn on the left radio station, I can't listen for more than a few minutes, despite my political sympathies with what I hear. The personalities simply don't attract me to want to listen.