Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Does one ever develop an immunity to busting late in a tournament?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a extremely hard on myself when I do something stupid to lose. In that instance I want to feel like I have been kicked in the nads so I don't do it again. Sometimes I have a buddy punch me in the arm so I can have a reminder of my donkish ways.

What I am really referring to are instances when I played my A game, although I can usually identify a few hands that I could have improved on, then bust out in the top 1-5% of the field. I understand 21 of 2k is an accomplishment but *$&%, it burns like fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I play great and bust out of a tourneament deep I feel awful. When I have played like a tool, I say "Self, you deserved this."

[/ QUOTE ]

Same. Though I would assume the ratio of how far we are to when we bust out is slightly different.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I think it's natural, but find a way to get over it, because I know it affected me for quite a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best cure is winning a good tourney. So go do that.

Honestly, though, I guess we have to say "I got in with the best of it." But it's much easier to say this if you are playing 20 tourneys a week versus like 1-2 like I do.

Brad
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always feel like I just got kicked in the gondads. Does that ever stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you are competitive.

Vince
Old 10-06-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, though, I guess we have to say "I got in with the best of it." But it's much easier to say this if you are playing 20 tourneys a week versus like 1-2 like I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is exactly why i didn't enjoy tourneys much when i was only playing them once a week or so. short term luck is WAAAAY too high in these things.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:38 PM

the lesson
fold aa preflop, you can find a better spot
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Its not like I am not winning my fair share. To quantify in #'s which are pretty meaningless to me due to sample size of less than a million, my ROI is 180+% (probably closer to 200% including stud tournaments) and ITM a hair under 20%. Its just that I hate busting deep into the tournament.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a extremely hard on myself when I do something stupid to lose. In that instance I want to feel like I have been kicked in the nads so I don't do it again. Sometimes I have a buddy punch me in the arm so I can have a reminder of my donkish ways.

What I am really referring to are instances when I played my A game, although I can usually identify a few hands that I could have improved on, then bust out in the top 1-5% of the field. I understand 21 of 2k is an accomplishment but *$&%, it burns like fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I play great and bust out of a tournament deep I feel awful. When I have played like a tool, I say "Self, you deserved this."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you have the almost the exact same feelings, perhaps my attitude isn't unhealthy and a hindrance to my future success
Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 PM

Isn't that typo priceless? Gondads!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It last much longer for me than a kick in the gonads does.

I don't play tons of tourneys due to a lack of free time without my wife (I like to spend our mutual free time together, go figure.)

But about 2 months ago I entered stars Friday 20+2 tourney and was the chip leader with 30 to go. 1100 entrants. I was stoked, excited, and nervous as the final 6 places all got over 1000 dollars, and my biggest cash to date was (is) $600 in a 30+3 win on absolute.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, with 17 people left, I was 7th after some donkish play by myself and others. I still wanted that FT SOO bad. I got all of my chips in after the flop with my opponent drawing to 6 outs (3 to 1 favorite), and of course he hit one of them to send me home.

First place was 5200 dollars. And that hand has been replayed in my mind too many times, and I since have lost money playing poker, to the point that I have taken a break.

So I think it's natural, but find a way to get over it, because I know it affected me for quite a while.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I always knew that loss of short term memory would come in handy some day. Must be why I worked so hard at it.

Unfortunately I had a girlfriend who liked to watch me play and remind me of the hand I busted out on last tourney or last week or last whatever.....

I'm afraid she had to go.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
only when you build an immunity to being kicked in the balls.

so basically never.