Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: AA Deepstacked

[ QUOTE ]
I would mull it over for a couple minutes, looking somewhat pissed, even possibly mentioning to him, "I have a pair." to make it look like I am trying to "show strength." Eventually, I say with much gusto, "I reraise," and I make it 1400.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could save a lot of time here by immediately flipping your Aces face-up and making it 1400.

[ QUOTE ]
reraising to 1400

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sending out this fake weakness

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nothing says weakness like putting in a fourth-raise for greater than pot after a lot of Hollywooding.

[ QUOTE ]
I have used this tactic many times, ... It has worked very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you, I guess.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 AM

I think a lot of you guys are making a fundamental mistake here.

You are assuming that if you put in the 4th raise, you are putting your hand face up that it is AA. Guess what, your hand range (to all but idiots) is pretty well defined by calling $250 preflop, he knows you have a really big hand and will include AA in that. Your hand range is defined pretty well once you've called the last bet...you might as well hope he's not capable of folding KK or AK preflop and pop it up to 1k let him think that he can just get it allin on a non-ace flop or an ace/king flop respectively.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not really feel like getting stacked for that much though.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you ever feel this way leave any table because you aren't playing your best.
-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost agree here. There are times, though, when you might want to stay at the table because you can give up some EV to the stacks the same size as you if the shorter stacks are bad enough. Just nitpicking here, in general I agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go easy on him, Diablo. What he said was unequivocally wrong.

If you are concerned with maximizing EV, it can often be correct to remain in a game where you are uncomfortable playing big pots and go out of your way to avoid them, as long as your opponents are poor enough. And, in my experience, when a knowledgeable player is playing stakes that are above his comfort level, it is generally because the opponents are VERY poor (which is also how the player ends up with the really deep stack that he is uncomfortable playing).

I don't think you were being nit-picky at all. It's a pretty easy concept that has been discussed multiple times on this forum...

Got that, youngin?

Mike
Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is how I would get his money:

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you are missing the intent of the original post here.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 AM

I'll just chip in with a 'nice hand'. I remember the first time is tripled through on a NL100 table I was taking a shot at. Suddenly I had more money on the table than I'd ever won before against a couple of other big stacks and there was no way I was prepared to lose it. I a big part of poker is knowing when you're beat and that goes for the mental side too. If you play with that much stress on your shoulders you're just going to make some stupid laydown because you're scared or some stupid bluff ot prove you're not.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:00 AM

I understand the advice to leave the table because the OP is on a form of tilt. But I disagree that leaving is necesarrily best.

The OP is on tilt becasue he's in a situation that he's never been in before. But getting up & leaving isn't going to help OP adapt to this new situation as much as hunkering down and trying to do his best. I would stay, at least for a while. I would expect to learn more about playing poker during this session than in any recent single session, becasue I'd be seeing & thinking about new things. Opportunities to play 800 BB poker don't come around often for many of us. We should take them when we get them, in order to get better at them.

My opinion.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM

So what if you are uncomfortable? you have Aces man! Think of it as a freeroll with other people's chips. The money isn't yours until you get it off the table.

This is the moment you have been playing for all your life. With the kind of player Villian seems to be, he is ripe for a whacking.

I smooth call the $250, and raise the hell out of him on the flop if the texture is decent. (even if a King hits). If a King hits, and he bets out big, you can be almost sure he hasn't hit trips. Seems like this is the kind of player that would try to trap you with a large hand.

Trap him with your aces. If he gets super lucky and flops a monster, so be it. Read the board, make good descisions post flop. You can do it! Make it $8K and go get yourself a 120 inch plasma. GAMBOOOLLLL dammit.

or...

take the money, run, and quit playing poker.