Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Yahoo Mail! - Are you f\'n kidding me?

I've been getting these occasionally for awhile now. I just sent an e-mail and didn't have to enter the code.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: This is why

[ QUOTE ]
It basically talks about how yahoo mail is superior to gmail and aol mail (maybe hotmail mentioned too, can't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. yeah, i asked the question twice now, and nobody will answer me why gmail is so much better than yahoo (email verification notwithstanding). i have both, and i can think of no reason besides "cuz everyone uses gmail now, DUH!"
Old 10-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Yahoo Mail! - Are you f\'n kidding me?

I've gotten it twice before. Not a big deal unless you get a really hard letter sequence. I can see how it would get annoying after every email though.

Good thing Outlook doesn't have this feature. I'd have to actually do work at work then.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It basically talks about how yahoo mail is superior to gmail and aol mail (maybe hotmail mentioned too, can't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. yeah, i asked the question twice now, and nobody will answer me why gmail is so much better than yahoo (email verification notwithstanding). i have both, and i can think of no reason besides "cuz everyone uses gmail now, DUH!"

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No alphanumeric verification required
2. NO BANNER ADS!!!
3. Over 2 gigs of storage
Old 10-02-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No alphanumeric verification required
2. NO BANNER ADS!!!
3. Over 2 gigs of storage

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I said verification notwithstanding! This is new to me, as of today, and the reason I am switching.
2. Yahoo has banner ads?
4. I currently have 1.0% of 1.0GB storage used. What the hell do you keep in your email account?

*Edit* I just noticed I went 1,2,4 but f it.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:45 PM

They do have ads. Google spiders your email and serves contextually relevant ads, usually in the form of ad sense.

[ QUOTE ]
About Ads & Related Information

Want to know more about the ads and related pages delivered by Gmail? Glad you asked!

Ads in Gmail are placed in the same way that ads are placed alongside Google search results and, through the Google AdSense program, on content pages across the web. The goal is to provide users with helpful ads, links and content relevant to their specific interests.

Gmail is a technology-based program. Advertising and related information are shown using a completely automated process. Ads are selected for relevance and served by Google computers using the same contextual advertising technology that powers our AdSense program. This technology enables Google to target dynamically changing content such as email or daily news stories.

No humans will read the content of your email in order to target such advertisements or related information. Because the ads and related pages are matched to information that is of interest to you, we hope you'll find them relevant and useful.

Your Privacy

Google does not and will never rent, sell or share information that personally identifies you for marketing purposes without your express permission. No email content or other personally identifiable information will be provided to advertisers.

Privacy is an issue we take very seriously. Only ads classified as Family-Safe are distributed through our content network and to your Gmail inbox. For example, Google would block certain ads from running next to an email about catastrophic news.

If you'd like to know more about how Google handles your Gmail information, please read our Gmail Privacy Policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They do have ads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see now. Guess I just never noticed/thought about it; they don't get in the way or anything.

Unfortunately, I can't "officially" switch to gmail until I get back from this business trip.