Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Never Ending Goals

Check out 43Things.com
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who has seen a real, competitive game of ultimate would be hard pressed to say it's not a sport, unless of course they are stupid, ignorant, and can't admit they are wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No I give up on girls. It is too depressing caring about getting a girlfriend and failing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have taken my advice more seriously in some of those old posts.

~ Rick

PS Also get contacts or the metrosexual type glasses (the type Jude Law wore in Closer).
Old 10-03-2005, 04:25 AM

danny, in the future just try to have sex with hot girls, and if a relationshop springs from that - awesome.

dont try to have a relationship first. i think thats were everyone goes wrong.

you are a world traveler and rich. what is the problem here? im guessing its your attitude/confidence?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Goals:

1) Goals need to be specific. Not "I want to get stronger", but "I want to bench press 225 pounds by Nov. 10" for example.

2) They need to be realistic. Not too high, bot too easy. If you see you will not reach them in the time specified, reset them.

3) Enlist someone as a partner or encourager. Working together helps you do what you need to do even on bad days. Tell everyone you see daily about your goals so they will ask you about it and help keep you motivated.

4) WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS AND LOOK AT THEM EVERY DAY. Put them on your door or mirror where you cant escape them. This key concept will help more than any other.

5) Track your progress. Make short term goals that guide you along the way. If you want to run a mile in 6 minutes by Dec 10, set up checkpoints along the way with time goals for each.

6) Finally, take no shortcuts. The first time you take a day off or slack off it gets easier the next time.

7) Reward yourself when you meet a goal.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goals:

1) Goals need to be specific. Not "I want to get stronger", but "I want to bench press 225 pounds by Nov. 10" for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything thesnowman said especially about goals being specific. A goal to "get good at piano" is so undefined it can be achieved by one practice or never accomplished. A goal should be something like I will learn song "x" this week.

One other thing is to concentrate on the big items. There is only so much time and the small items will take care of themselves. An illustration I like is, if you fill a glass with marbles you can always pour sand into the glass, but if you fill the glass with sand it is damn hard to get any marbles in. It is up to you to decide what your marbles are and to concentrate on them.

starbits