Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: I hate poker players

Could not agree more. This is why I don't play live and also spend less time on the boards than I used to.

I don't watch poker on TV anymore and rarely talk about it with people besides my girlfriend.

This feeling has gotten so strong for me, that I even refused to teach my girlfriends ten year old how to play, because the thought of explaining to somebody why they should not play K2o, just made me want to puke. I gave him my copy of WLLH by Lee Jones and said "here, this is how I learned."

I still really enjoy poker, but the people really bother me.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Explanation

Poker players are brain damaged psychopaths.....

A team of U.S. scientists has found the emotionally impaired are more willing to gamble for high stakes and that people with brain damage may make good financial decisions, the Times newspaper reported Monday.

Linky Link
Old 09-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Alobar you have nailed it. Poker would be an excellent, fun-loving diversion but for the fact that you have to play with people. People are mostly assholes.

When my "friends" caught the poker bug we all dove head first into the live game. At first it was a REALLY enjoyable way to spend a Friday night. We drank beer, we ate pizza, we joked about our mean-spirited girlfriends/wives. And then suddenly one or two guys secretly went out and bought every f-in poker book written.

Soon these two guys were crushing us, stealing our after-taxes/bills income, and worse--making us look like fools. The game as we knew it came to a halt, and the friendliness of the game was OVER. Enter....the poker players; aka the assholes.

The minute I got a clue about the game I hated the conversations, I hated the foot-dragging ("Is it my turn?" "What's the bet?" "Whatcha got?" "Did you see WPT this Wednesday....all-in with that?" "I hate Vince Van Patten too!"), and I could not stand the asinine coversations about poker. None of us really had a clue what we were talking about and yet we were all "experts", liberally mis-quoting Sklansky, Brunson, T.J., etc.

It was sickening. And thankfully it came to an end when the main host of the game moved away. Now I have learned to dislike strangers (on-line), as opposed to my friends (live). That's the way it should be afterall.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Poker can certainly tilt you on and off the table.

I don't know if poker players are the biggest assholes on the planet, but they are certainly contenders if they are running extremely good or extremely bad, and it doesn't seem to matter which it is.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:57 AM

"This job would be great if it weren't for all the [censored] customers"

-Randall, Clerks

don't know why I'm quoting that cause I'm not a pro. but yeah.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:48 PM

Unfortunately poker has been so romanticized by movies and TV that there is a big "poser" population.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately poker has been so romanticized by movies and TV that there is a big "poser" population.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to Alobar last night about how embarassing it is to tell people that you play poker. Partly because there are so many people who think they are cool because they play poker.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Partly because there are so many people who think they are cool because they play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, that's true in the US, but tell people you play poker in the UK and they think you are a degenerate gambler.

I had to show my flatmate my pokertracker db before he stopped berating me about it.

could be worse i guess......

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]G [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 02:32 PM

its cause you lost your sunglasses that you dont play live

or you cant leave the house anymore [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

where have you been

miss u
Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]