Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Racism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its not about physical attraction. He wouldnt marry a black girl if he thought she was the most beautful woman in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What were his reasons then?

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe a belief that black people are inferior to whatever race he is? in a non-racist way, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's not that he hates black people, he just thinks they're sub-human.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:48 PM

I'm begining to think OP is racist...

think about it.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its nto about physical attraction. He owuldnt marry a black girl that he thought was mroe beautiful than any woman alive becuase he "wouldnt feel comfortable walknig around ion public holding her hand."

[/ QUOTE ] Clearly he is a pusswar (pussy).
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

I find it amusing that a bunch of internet superheros who've likely never experienced racism first hand are quick to tell everyone what is and isn't racism.

Ah. So we're not even allowed to have an opinion on the subject. I see.

[/ QUOTE ]
everyone's allowed to have an opinion. the ones who steadfastly stick to their original assumption without considering the possibilities of other perspectives from people far more experienced in the subject matter are amusing to me.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM

I just remembered a friend of mine in University had dated a black girl for awhile. Things were great when they'd talk on the phone, or hang out, but things weren't so great when he was around her friends or family. He didn't fit in with them, there was a definite cultural clash. He'd go to parties with her and he's be the only white guy there, and everyone would get quiet and stop talking and stare at him when he'd enter the room. They'd make jokes about him being white, would ask the girl he was dating why she was dating a white guy *right in front of him*, etc... Many guys would be able to overlook all this and have it slide off their backs, but my friend was already very self-conscious and insecure, so he ended up breaking it off with her, even though he liked her very much. He just couldn't foresee a future with her if he was always going to feel like an oddball whenever *he* was the minority in the room.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:55 PM

how did she feel about it?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is not racist at all. I'm not racist and I would prefer a white girl over a black one. Just a personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't understand what the word "racist" means.

This is definitely racial discrimination which is a form of racism.

what you guys are answering is really:

"racial discrimination (ie racism) in the area of hiring for a job, allowing into schools, preferential treatment from the goverment, etc, is agreed to be wrong in our society. What about racial discrimination in who you choose to date?"
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM

With age, comes wisdom.

The OP is clearly between two people with little mileage. Those of us who have a few miles and have actually been married know that the choice of who to marry is rarely that simple.

"I like her and she's hot" do not add up to a successful marriage. A successful one night stand, maybe.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how did she feel about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that he never expressed his concerns to her, or if he did, he downplayed them. It's hard to tell your black girlfriend "I feel uncomfortable in a room full of black people", and it's generally not a good idea to tell *any* girlfriend "I don't like your friends". I think he just gave her a standard breakup line rather than going into details.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:00 PM

If the guy said he would not marry any black girl, in other words he wouldn't marry a girl simply because she's black, and didn't follow it up with something like "because my mom is racist and wouldn't accept it and I couldn't go through that kind of conflict" then he's clearly racist.