Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Re: High prices at the pump

Well just count up all the terrorist attacks that have disturbed world peace over the last decade or so, and then consider whether Bush or the terrorists are the greater threat to world peace. Unless of course you don't consider terrorist attacks all over the world to be an assault on world peace.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:20 AM

Well, perhaps you are offering a non-sequiter. There is no doubt that the terrorist are a threat to world peace. However, the question still remains the same -- have the two wars to date increased or decreased the level of risk to peace on earth and goodwill towards all.

One should consider the following questions as the events unfold over the next few years --

1. Is the US population safer now that before -- and is that related to the war or increased vigilance?
2. Are the other people in the world safer now than before and consider the following specific population groups: Israeli citizens; Palestinian citizens(??); Middle east citizens (specially Iraqi citizens who's lives have been disrupted);
3. Now, i am aware you are generally dismissive of all governments that are not willing to toe the US line, but has there been a cost to the US by the trans-atlantic rift - with Germany and France. Germany specifically is one of the most biggest economies of the world. The US shares historic roots and ties with these countries and peoples (as a non-white, non-christian, myself - i have been bemused by the rift in this age old partnership caused by, what I view as, a tinpot despot who had been crippled by 12 years of house arrest)
4. Is the respect for the US (not just the fear) growing or diminishing?
5. What are the costs of reconstruction -- assuming we see them through (which i think is a big assumption, given the increasing costs and probable lack of enough oil revenue) -- going to hurt the US ability to properly go after the "war on terror"

While, we can give off the cuff answers to these, the legacy of the these two wars will be written based on events and how the above and other such questions play out over the next few years. I know you have opinions on these subject -- but to say that the world is presently more peaceful or even necessarily on a path to more peace appears to be a bit pre-mature.

Old 05-19-2003, 10:07 AM

Without addressing all your points, thus far the war on terror has captured about half of al Qaeda's senior leadership and deprived them of their "home base." Other terrorists around the world are being captured too.

Fortunately, the "hydra" theory is quite wrong. Defeating terrorists reduces their numbers rather than increasing them. What actually increases the numbers of fanatical terrorists like al Qaeda (an extremist religious organization), is allowing them to continue inflicting mayhem and continuing to train and recruit. And of course fanatical teachings, drilled into the heads of Arab youths in madrassas across the Middle East, or in government Saudi schools, increases terrorism.

Bury the religious terrorists in pigskin so they can't go to Paradise according to their beliefs, since these religious lunatics want to die taking as many Western innocents with them as possible.

Remember the dire warnings of how the Arab street would rise up against the West over the Iraq war? As we have seen, it doesn't work like that;-)
Old 05-19-2003, 11:35 AM

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EE20Ak02.html

You may be interested in this viewpoint.