FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You Raise and are Reraised All in
Call 40 97.56%
Fold 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Monopoly Question

[ QUOTE ]
Alright. Someone give me the rundown here. What's the story on Settlers of Catan? What's this Catan and Canaan and what the hell's going on here? Starfarers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Settlers of Catan is a board game that involves building roads, settlements and cities and raking in resources with which to do so. Pretty cool game.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only is it against the spirit of the rules, but I wholly support custom rules that call for the tattler to have to pay the rent also.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who gets into an argument over a game of monoply needs therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There are very few board games that I've played - Diplomacy is the one that comes to mind at the moment - that give the hate in quite the same way as Monopoly.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I [censored] hate when people not involved will say something - especially when they get mad when others do the same.

That being said, it's also against the "code" of the game to roll doubles, go on the space super fast, and roll again getting off of boardwalk with hotels or something

Monopoly is one of my least favourite games

[/ QUOTE ]

That quick move before you can object type of tactic is common in a lot of games and is definitely slimy. I just don't like to play games with people like that period, doesn't really matter what the game is. It's the style of gameplay that sucks, and that will carry over.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
monopoly? is this the game where after 9 hours of playing it you want to kick your aunt in the chest for clapping everytime she collects $200 for passing "Go" although everyone gets this $200?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 09-23-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it against the rules or the spirit of the game to alert other players when someone lands on their properties?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you charge the person.

You: "If you give me $100 I'll tell you how you can make an immediate profit of hundreds of dollars"

Mr. Distracted: "ok"

You: "Collect that rent from Ms. Quiet who just landed on your hotel."

Mr. Distracted: "Great. Pay up Bit*h!"

Ms. Quiet (to you): "You're an Assh*le"

Mr. Distracted (to you): "You don't get that $100. She owed me that rent anyway"

You (as you toss the board): "F*ck You Both!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this move.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who gets into an argument over a game of monoply needs therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There are very few board games that I've played - Diplomacy is the one that comes to mind at the moment - that give the hate in quite the same way as Monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this to be true with guys who always try to steal from the bank -- miscounting, palming bills, etc. For some people, stealing from the bank is pretty much the whole game, and the fight to be the banker can be loud and bitter, because everyone either wants to steal for themselves or keep the other guy from stealing from the bank, which he almost certainly will.

Playing a game where people are stealing is pointless and stupid, and so is playing with those people. But they're everywhere, and lots of people think it's funny.

That kind of thing, and people who like to argue up rules that don't exist or change them whenever they can see an advantage, can make games truly suck.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:07 PM

strange, when we talked about when a player shows his hand and doesnt know he has the winner, it was pretty much onesided that you should speak up (i think you should keep quiet), but now in basically the same situation (alb eit different games), the feeling is to keep quiet (even though the voting is only slightly favoring speaking up). how are these situations opposite??
Old 09-23-2005, 09:32 PM

It's less about stealing and outright cheating, which I don't have so much problem with (I mean I haven't run into people really doing this), as the wheeling and dealing aspect of both games. It seems like it generally devolves into arguing in the case of Monopoly where all the discussions are in the open, or real anger when somebody stabs you in the back in Diplomacy. There's also the serious frustration which somebody alluded to of watching yourself get screwed because somebody else made a boneheaded deal. Obviously they're just games, so one can't take them too seriously, but if you're a reasonably competitive person it's a little hard not to get caught up in the moment sometimes. I haven't played either of these games in years, so perhaps I'd have a more laissez faire attitude now. I think the length of an average Monopoly game also contributes to it; by the end, people are generally getting a little punchy.