Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: should I of folded this house 20+2

You played this hand terribly. Not betting this flop is criminal. Not betting the turn is criminal. You deserved to lose this hand.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:11 PM

I don't know about calling on the end, but I do know about betting on the flop. And if not there then definitely on the turn. You succeeded in keeping the pot small with a huge hand. Nice work.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see what is wrong with slowplaying this set. I have 20 chips invested theres only sixty in the pot if the board becomes to scary I can easily lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh dear heaven. This is easily one of the most painful statements I have ever read. Excruciating to read stuff like this. You can NOT possibly be serious? Can you?
[ QUOTE ]
Alriht [censored]. Im not a losing player far from it. Im trying to win a big pot here early but I can easily get away from this if the board become to scary. I have very little invested and the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]
WWTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

WIN A BIG POT? By checking when you hit a set on a board where an Ace fell, AND there are a lot of drawing hands possible?! Win a big pot by betting! The draws will come, the Aces will come, if no one comes, oh well you probably weren't gonna make much anyway. When you fill up on the turn the Ace will give you his whole stack!

[ QUOTE ]
I checked the turn because I didnt have to fear any draws. And Im now hopong to bust someone with an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
YOU BUST SOMEONE WITH AN ACE BY BETTING THE TURN!!! Do you really think they're going to fold an ace?! WTF?!!?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:16 PM

I would have folded to a mini-bet on the river.

Obviously, somebody was slow playing quad aces. All good players slow play. Value betting is for fish.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't see why it is wrong to check on the flop and the turn with what most likely is the best hand then I am sure you are a losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alriht [censored]. Im not a losing player far from it. Im trying to win a big pot here early but I can easily get away from this if the board become to scary. I have very little invested and the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]You're trying to win a big pot, but you're not placing any bets to help the pot grow and when someone does put big money in the pot you think maybe you should walk away. I don't think your thinking is consistent.

Maybe you're worried that a bet on the flop or turn will scare the others off, so you're waiting for them to bet. If so, your plan has worked, call the bet (or raise). (I see from the hand record that you did call the 480, which suggests you probably were beat -- otherwise no post -- oh well.)
Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 PM

You played this hand for set value right? You got it, so you need to maximize it.

Flop:
It's you against the blinds, so you have to consider what they would be checking this flop with. BB could have absolutley anything, cuz it's been free to play so far. SB might have an A, since he called pre-flop. Two diamonds or open-end straight draws are unlikely just based on random hand principles. The only hands you trail on the flop are AAA/777. Neither likely at all.

So knowing you are ahead how are you going to maximize your take?

Checking nets you $0 going to the turn and gives the Villains infinite odds.
A raise of 1/2 the pot will keep the flush/straight draws in (at wrong odds) and may get a raise from any A or 7.
A pot size raise might chase them both out, but will definitely be called by any A or two pair.

Another thing I have noted at the $22s is slow-playing a flopped set doesn't make a lot of sense, because everybody slow-plays a flopped set, so when you bet out with your set you often get called because nobody puts you on that hand.

I bet somewhere aroudn t45 here, and expect to get at least one call.

Turn:
Your full-house is made. It get's checked to you and you don't bet. When do you plan to make money on this hand? How are you going to know if you are even against an A if you don't bet? By not betting here any card on the river becomes a scare card when they bet.

You checked the flop so still t60 in the pot. Bet the pot. You get called by any A and the straight and flush draws might still come along for the ride thinking they can bust the trips Aces you are now representing. Though they are not getting the odds.

Checking nets you $0.
Pot bet wins the pot here or bumps it up to t180 or higher. This is what you want, because you have a full-friggin-house man.
Either way, betting is +chips. Checking gets you nothing again.

River:
This turned out to be a bad card for you, I suspect. One of these clowns held 99 and didn't raise pre-flop, or held A9 and tried to trap you? Your flop and turn plays allowed SB to suck out on you huh? So, instead of maximizing your value, you completely minimized it.

Had the nine not come on the river you might have been checked to again, then what would you have done? Bet t60? The pot is so small at this point you have basically wasted all equity your set had on the flop.

My play:
Flop - bet pot
Turn - bet 2/3 of new pot
River - raise all-in to any bet, if checked to, make "call me" bet to get something out of this hand. Woof.

If you only lose with full-houses, I don't want to play at your table.

Peace out.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see what is wrong with slowplaying this set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a lot of people have already told you what is wrong with it, but you don't seem to be listenning. I'll add a little to this... To slowplay, a few conditions have to be true. One of them is that you have a monster that isn't likely to get outdrawn if you give a free card. This clearly isn't the case. Any diamond opens up flush possibilities, and if the turn comes a 3,4,5,8,9, or T you now have straight possibilities (however remote) to contend with. You must make your opponents make mistakes. Bet on the flop so that your opponent is getting incorrect odds to draw to a flush or straight. If you don't understand this, re-read theory of poker to review some of the most basic concepts.
Another reason to slowplay is that you basically have all the good cards that are coordinated with the flop and any action would chase out your opponent, for example holding JJ and flopping JJ2. There are very few hands that your opponent would call with (one is 22, maybe A2, but not much else), so any bet will likely drive him out. You may want to wait is this situation to let him catch a card on the turn.
Without these conditions, I wouldn't attempt a slowplay, especially not on a great board like this where you can charge flush draws AND get paid off by any ace.

[ QUOTE ]

I have 20 chips invested theres only sixty in the pot if the board becomes to scary I can easily lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have anything invested. Don't think this way. The amount you have put into the pot shouldn't really affect your decisions on later streets. Thinking otherwise will cost you lots of money. Controlling the pot size is important, yet completely different than "investing"

[ QUOTE ]

I checked the turn because I didnt have to fear any draws. And Im now hopong to bust someone with an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm the flush draw is still out there, and if you suspected a ace was out there you should've bet the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

But when I guy makes a bet like that it makes u revaluate how strong your hand actaully is.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a guy makes a bet of like 400 or 500 into a pot of like 40 or 50, I assume that he's just a big retard who has 2 cards and decided to commit his stack to stealing a pot. Maybe he has an Ace, but if he has any kind of hand, he's a moron for giving YOU free cards to possibly make your hand.

I don't think the villain's bet here is good at all (either as a bluff or a value bet).

[ QUOTE ]

Flop and turn play aside what are your thoughts on the river should I have folded pushed or called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Push. You're playing a donk $22 player who bets huge into tiny pots AND you're holding a full-house.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 PM

In addition a bet when checked to in position is often not respected as it's a steal position. This is the absolute perfect flop/position to be betting your hand and potentially winning a huge pot. If you hit the same flop OOP I could see perhaps checking the flop, but in position it's quite terrible.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:45 PM

See page 144 of The Theory of Poker for the general requirements of slowplaying and why this didn't meet them.

But yeah at this level im certainly putting in probably a pot sized bet on the flop because i don't like that flush draw for a start and making another big bet on the turn if called and then theres no way i'm laying down any full house at the $22s its just too much -EV.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM

This is an easy fold preflop if you're going to play like such a pansy when you hit your set.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im trying to win a big pot here early but I can easily get away from this if the board become to scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to win a big pot by checking two sreets in a row? ummmmm I'm no Doyle Brunson but that just doesn't make any sense to me. And exactly HOW scary could this board become so as to make you lay down your full house?