Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Mercedes SLK or Porsche Boster

Maybe something has changed with the newer models (280/350), but I had a '99 SLK 230 and it was a 6-speed manual.

FWIW, in regards to the posters original question, having driven both, I'd go with the SLK over the boxster for a daily driver, but as others have pointed out there are several cars that are a better fit for a daily driver in this price range.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 PM

I don't know the area so I don't know what this commute is like...but if you're going to be in stop 'n' go rush hour every day, I can say from experience that a manual transmission is horrendous under these conditions.

So...if this is this the case:
1) Sports cars with automatic screams gay.
2) Most convertibles generally scream gay.
3) You sound like you have the money to buy something expensive...get a really cool Mercedes or BMW...or something like the Lexus IS300. You'll be more comfortable, you can drive an automatic which will cause you to like your commute more, chicks will actually dig this more than a wimpy small convertible b/c cars like what I've mentioned say "I'm an important man with important things to do who is interested in class," instead of "I'm a man who is trying desperately to distract your attention from my amazingly small penis."
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 PM

Z4 - even though I personally think the Z3 was a better looking car (but I'm biased).

That said, when i got my Z3, it outperformed the Boxster for around $20 grand less. Let's face it neither are practical, so at some point you'll need a second ride. I definitely can't take my dog for a ride in a Z3.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 AM

If you're going to go with the SLK (which I highly recommend), MAKE SURE you get the SLK 55 AMG not the 350. It will cost you at least $65K tho.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Save up for this one the SLR, I thin k there is a maclaren version as well.

The new Jag is looking good as well but more 911 money
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Thank god infiniti dont sell cars over here that looks awful. looks like every bog standard family car we get over here, he asked about two seater converibles and everyones recommending this?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:45 AM

Go test drive a g35 coupe - most fun car to drive that is still semi practical - 6 speed of course.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 AM

I forgot yesterday if you get the boxster make sure you get the s. Also there are a ton of 3-4yr old low mileage boxsters out there for half the price of a new one. This is the route I went when I bought mine and the only way to go IMO if you decide on the boxster. The only downside to that is I think the new boxster is a little different and has more HP but still I would go with a used s vs a new regular one.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 AM

I think there is a hard top version of the boxster coming out as well but I think thats even more of a I cant afford a 911 than an normal boxster.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there is a hard top version of the boxster coming out as well but I think thats even more of a I cant afford a 911 than an normal boxster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree